1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Machine picky about hibernating when set for after 20 min

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bcon76, Jan 19, 2002.

Mark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bcon76

bcon76 Guest Thread Starter

Sorry this is so long, please bear with me. I've on this issue before and still have not been able to resolve it. I do have some more info on the problem though so letÂ’s have another go. This is WinXP pro upgraded from WinME.

At first I could not get the machine to hibernate or standby at all. (Yes, power option properties are set up and ACPI is enabled in BIOS) I then turned off the screen saver and ran a test. I set power management to the following configurations:

Turn off monitor: 1min
    Turn off HDD: 3min
    System standby: 5min
    Hibernate: 10 min

After turning off the screen saver and letting it run its course. The monitor turned off at 1min, HDD off at 3min, system standby at 5min. Then, at 10min (hibernation time), the system woke up as if I had tapped the keyboard or mouse. I let it go at this point but today it was just bothering me.

Today I set up only Hibernate at 1min, no prob, 2min, 3min, 5min, 10min, 15 ,20, 25, all ok. Set hibernate for 30min or more and it will not hibernate at all. In my opinion this renders hibernation rather useless. There are many times when I am away from this machine and at another for more then 25min and want to come back to this machine without having to wait. In those cases standby would be more appropriate but that posses another problem. If I set the machine to standby and hibernate at a later time it will standby but when it comes time to hibernate the system will wake out of standby like mentioned above. Everything as far a power management was working fine in WinME. Thanks for any help. Oh, I may also mention that I updated drivers for all devices and have ran my tests with nothing connected to the machine and with everything connected and get the same results. Thanks again.

2. Dan O

Dan O

Usually it one or the other.

For example use Standby as the default and manually select Hibernate for a quick restart.

Also does your support these features? You may need a BIOS upgrade. Have you checked for one?

3. bcon76

bcon76 Guest Thread Starter

BIOS upgrade is something I have been putting off. I should probably do that. I don't know why it worked fine in ME but not in XP. We'll see what the update does. Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65533

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice