1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Machine running really slowly after installing Network card

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dave97, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave97

dave97 Thread Starter

I tried installing a Network card in Windows Nt ver 4.0 build 1381 service pack 3.

I couldn't get it talking to windows 98 and the machine started running really slowly.

I took the network card out (a fast ethernet 10/100m) card and it still runs really slowly (eg. If I open a folder the folder opens instantly but the egg timer stays on for what seems like a couple of minutes). How can I get my machine running at normal speed again?

Note: It's a Pentium 400 with Raid (for video).

I may have changed settings in the services, devices and network (but I've removed the networking option for now).

2. bubbalouie

bubbalouie

I guess you have turned the machine off several times which won't let you go back and use the "last know good load" at the time of start up. If you simply installed the nic card and installed the drivers for the card I really can't understand what would cause you to slow down like you describe. Service pack 3 is the rock solid one for NT.

Perhaps I can help you with your network problem though, Do you have the network protocols loaded in the machines? For just 2or 3 machines its easiest to use Microsoft protocol Netbeui, it is the fastest and easiest protocol for small networks of 2 to 20 machines. both NT and 98 support it and the machines should see each other almost immed. Good luck on your other problems, NT can be a bear to work with, thats why I changed over to Win2000, much easier to work with.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66935

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice