1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

machine shuts down after 10-15 sec.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wcopel, Apr 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wcopel

wcopel Thread Starter

Help,I have a Emachine The frist problem no power to the fan on the cpu. Iconnected the fan directly to the power supply and it worked. I rplaced the cpu and the fan upgrading to a 1.3 celeron from a 1.2 the 1.3 was less money then the 1.2 I stll had the same problem . I put a new power supply and the machine starts fan runs for 10-15 sec. and everything shuts down . I reset by unplgging the power supply and try again same thing. I took out all memoery and I got some beeps but machine sht down after 10-15 sec. I disconnected the hard drive and all other hardware and same problem. Help. Thanks Willie

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Have you correctly applied thermal transfer paste to the heat sink on the CPU, and ensured the heatsink is correctly mated with the CPU die?

It sounds like a thermal shutdown due to overheating.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sounds like your motherboard is faulty. If the CPU fan does not work while connected to the motherboard but it does when its conencted to the powersupply then the motherboard isn't supplying the right voltages or its dead. It could also be sensing that the CPU fan is not spinning or not connected and shutting down. Do you even see anything on the screen for the 10 seconds its on? Try Clearing the CMOS by using the CLEAR CMOS jumper or by pulling out the battery fior a few minutes.

4. cnclathrop

cnclathrop

you could try entring the bios within that ten sec for my soyo that is how you turn off fan sensing control .

5. wcopel

wcopel Thread Starter

thanks, on the new heat sink there is a black tab where you wohld put grease should I remove tab.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216644

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice