1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Machine won't standby or hibernate

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bcon76, Jan 14, 2002.

Unmark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bcon76

bcon76 Guest Thread Starter

I just upgraded to from WinME to WinXP Pro a few days ago and am only having a couple of minor problems. The main problem is that the computer will not standby or hibernate. The monitor will turn off but that is it. I do have ACPI enabled in BIOS and this machine is not on a network yet, so there is no other machine to interfere.

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

hello

go to START/SETTINGS/CONTROL PANEL / POWER OPTIONS.... check all your settings there

3. bcon76

Hibernation is enabled in power options.

If i set the option to hibernate by turning off pow bttn it will hibernate. If I go to start\turn off computer and select standby it will standby but it won't do either on it's own.

4. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

I'm assuming you checked power options for schemes/advanced as well? I don't know then. Sorry, maybe someone else will.

ps... If you have a screensaver, that may interfere.

5. bcon76

Good point on the screen saver. I'll check it out right now. Thanks.

6. bcon76

Things just got stranger. I turned off the screensaver and it produced results but not the ones I was looking for. To test I set the power schemes to the following:

turn off monitor: 1min
    turn off HDD: 3min
    standby: 5min
    hibernate: 10min

The monitor will turn off. Then I can here the HDD power down. Then 2 min after the HDD powers down I get gisk activity but no standby. Heres the really weird part. At the 10 min mark (should hibernate) the HDD powers up and the monitor comes on. I let it go through 3 cycles. Nine min after the monitor turns off it comes on again. I should also mention that standby an hibernate worked flawlessly in WinME and this is an upgrade to XP. Not a clean install (which is not an option anyway untill I get more storage).

7. bcon76

Any more thoughts on this issue?

8. bcon76

Just thought I would bring it back to the top as this issue is still unresolved. Thanks for any help. Guesses are welcome.

9. yomaddog

yomaddog

I know your not networked right now,...

Networking disables my computer from the same, so I wonder, are you configured for networking & just not wired up? Maybe that has something to do with it...( ? )

10. bcon76

Nope. Only network setting is my internet connection. Thanks for the idea though. I may have to talk to the dreaded Microsoft on this one. Nah, that's crazy talk. I guess it's not that big a deal. I just hate it when something this simple doesn't work.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64833

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice