1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Macrium Reflect Recovery CD not working

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by DaveDoesIT, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DaveDoesIT

DaveDoesIT Thread Starter

Hi All,

I have tried several times and every time I try to make a recovery CD, it creates a bootable linux disk OK but there is no image to restore. I was able to make a USB drive bootable and then copy an image over to it, but not for the CD.

I checked their site and have tried all the Compatibility options, still nothing.

When I boot the CD it gets to the page shown in the pic and the list to the right is always empty for any of the drives selected.

Am I doing something wrong?

I can't ask om the Macrium forum as only paid members get to do that.

Dave

Attached Files:

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

For whatever reason, the cd cannot see your hard disk and without knowing any of your hardware, we cannot help you.

3. DaveDoesIT

Rich,

Not so, the key in my original post was "no image to restore."

Yes it can see the hard disk and the existing partitions and displays them on the left with the drive icons. BUT, there is no image on the CD for it to use and that is what is displayed in the table to the right. Look at the headings in the pic, "Backup Date..."

The process appears to be broken in the current version of Reflect as there is ONLY Linux on the recovery CD and nothing else.

I get the impression you have never used it? There is no point me saving a CD if it is not going to work when/if I need it.

Dave

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Well that's good to know but none of us are mindreaders, there are a half million posters on here so it is possible you would hit different users on this post and you have yet to post the old post on here and I sure don't have the time to play these games and look for it.

I have been using backup software for 15 years but I really have no clue what the above sentence states. How would an image fit on a cd?

Almost all Rescue disks that I am aware of are Linux Windows and so what anyway?

Wrong again I have used it but the free version offers so little I have no use for it as I need a backup program to make incrementals and differentials and clone drives as well as make initial image files and even the paid version has no clone ability. Since I hope we both know the image files won't fit on a cd, then are you saying that if you click on the drive that holds the image file it won't show anything on the drive? Are you aware that since the rescue environment is Linux, it is quite likely that the drive letters are different from what they are in Windows so I would check every drive shown for the image file.

5. DaveDoesIT

Rich, My "Original Post " is at the top of this page. No games, just try scrolling to the top or use Ctrl-Home.

On a new laptop, windows Vista will fit on a DVD as a compressed image. I assumed that would be done for the rescue CD. It seems nuts to me to call it a rescue CD when it does not create an image and does not tell you to do so.

I have two computers here that are running Linux and have been for 3 or so years. I am very conversant with Linux and full aware it assigns drive letters as it encounters the drive. My login name should give some inkling to my knowledge. :) I was at a loss understanding just what Macrium's idea is of a Rescue CD.

Anyway, moot point, I have purchased Acronis.

Dave

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Good move Acronis is the best and most complete IMHO for now.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918406

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice