1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Macro for Open Office Base to establish MySQL connection to Base DB

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by mcd1, Dec 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcd1

mcd1 Thread Starter

I am having some connection problems to a mysql database for a small shop, which is located on a shared hosting server. I am using Open Office Base as a front end on Windows 7. I will create a form which is simple and easy to use for someone that is non technical, I could not use for example phpmyadmin or something that exposes too many options to the employee. OO Base does connect successfully but after a short time of inactivity there is an error message which is SQL Status: HY000 Error code: 2006 MySQL server has gone away. The reason for this has been determined that there is a time out of only 30 seconds which unfortunately I cannot change, as it is set by the hosting company in the my.conf file on the server. They also as most web hosts are of limited help. OK fine so I should just be able to reconnect. The problem is that Open Office proceeds to crash and I have to go through a file recovery window and there are several steps including having to re-type the password again to connect. I really need to solve two things here, prevent OO crashing and also having it realize it lost the connection and just re-connecting, without having to type in the password again. I have tried turning off the auto recovery of files but it didn't work, I have tried adding no restore as an option in the shortcut, also didn't work. I have tried enabling connection pooling, it also didn't work. For reconnecting I tried adding ?autoReconnect=true to the end of the database name and that didn't work. Not much else I have found to help, except the idea of writing a macro to reconnect to the database. There doesn't have to be a continuous connection by any means just fewer steps in getting it going again. Are there any examples or code I could look at that might help, I have googled everywhere and can't find much about it. I think OO Base uses Basic as the macro language, one I am not familiar with. Any help with these two issue is greatly appreciated I have spent several days on this.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      30.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      55.1 KB
      Views:
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!