1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Macro to Move files to the right folder

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Zan03, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zan03

Zan03 Thread Starter

Hi All,

I don't know if this is possible, or if there is a way to make this possible on a move forward basis, but I have to drop files into it's matching folder.

I have my folders set up as such:

Building Address -> Floor Number - > Unit Number.

Please see attached. If you click on building address "123 Test Company Street". You will find folder 1 appear. When you clean on each individual floor numbers, folder 2 will appear.

In my attachement, you'll find a bunch of PDF's. The first PDF is called "unit 102". I need that file to drop into folder into "FL 01"..."Unit 2".

The last pdf is called unit 308. I need that file to drop into folder "FL3"..."Unit 8".

Anyway i can write a macro which will place the correct file in the correct folder.

If it is not currently possible, any suggestions on how to rename my folders in order for a macro to work?

Thank you for your time.

Attached Files:

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Yes it can be done. I'll try to take a look at it a little later when I have some free time.

Regards,
    Rollin

3. Zan03

Zan03 Thread Starter

That's great...I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks Rollin...

4. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Which application are you planning on running the macro from? You also have the option of using a stand alone VBS script but using a macro makes it much easier to debug and allows you more functionality. Can you also confirm that double digit floors will have a filename like "Unit XXXX" where the first two digits are the floor and the second two represent the unit?

Rollin

5. Zan03

Zan03 Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply Rollin.

I haven’t decided which app I am going to use (I’m fairly new to this) but if you have a suggestion I’ll go ahead and get it.

Yes, double digit floors will have a filename similar to your example, where the first two digits are the floor and the second two represent the unit. As it stands, my folders are similar to my previous attachment, but I can rearrange my folders so that they are labeled by the full floor and unit number ex. inside the building address folder, you’ll find a bunch of folders labeled “Unit XXXX”.

6. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

And how will the "Penthouse" be handled?

Rollin

7. Zan03

Zan03 Thread Starter

Instead of a numerical floor number, we will have Unit "PHXX"

Penthouse2 would be "Unit PH02"

Thank you

8. amadeus-salvador

amadeus-salvador

I understand your need to keep organized using a folder system, but you may want trying to look into Evernote or MS OneNote to keep your reference material. It is a much more dynamic way to handle reference material using "tags" and search functions to find the files you need without the high maintenance issues you seem to be facing. The bottom line is finding what you need when you need it, quickly and easily right? Who cares how you go about doing it.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916878

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice