1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mac's on ebay. Trying to decide between 2. Good deal? pls help!

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by agirlwithadream, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. agirlwithadream

agirlwithadream Thread Starter

Hey Guys!
    Please help me out with this. Im 18 and trying to find a good deal on a lap top. Ive gone over a ton of them and done some research. Ive also gotten a few other peoples opinions. The computers on ebay were narrowed down to these two. How do they look to yall? I am going into photography in the future but right now am focusing on taking some online courses. want a durable lap top that doesnt get viruses easily. Ive heard the mac is the best one for this ;) Also want at least 512 MB so the computer will run faster and more than 30 GB. Might be dowloading lots of pictures and possibly music. Below is a description in full of both of them. Both have another day on them. My price limit is 1000 but im not going to pay that much for a computer that is not worth it. Right now im just focusing on what sounds like the best deal as far as what comes with the computer/what speed it has ect. Any advice on these two would be great!!!!! feel free to say forget it :rolleyes: (n) or go for it (y) :) . im totally open to all suggestions . thank you !

*Apple Mac Power Book g4 ibook imac ipod computer*

http://cgi.ebay.com/APPLE-MAC-POWER...4QQihZ015QQcategoryZ14909QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bidding price 511.00
    SHIPPING: 39.99 Firm

PAYMENT: money order/check/credit card
    BID OVER: Aug 2 1 day 10 hrs

WHAT I LIKE

--60 GB
    --512 MB
    --Computer includes Microsoft Office
    --Apple Coverage good until 2007(April)
    --AUCTIOn will include Charger, Battery, Manuals shown, Discs, cables, adaptors, And laptop itself
    --Has Airport Card
    --SELLER has 250 people rate him with a 99.2 % good bid history

WHAT IM NOT SURE ABOUT

Operating system of Mac OS 10.3, Panther
    Processor speed of 1.33 GHz
    Processor type: Power PC g4

WHAT I DONT LIKE.

small indention on front right over disk drive (seller says does not affect any functionality of computer and is not eyesore)
    Two minor blemishes on outer case

Mac Apple 12' Laptop Powerbook G4

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mac-Apple-12-La...0QQihZ009QQcategoryZ14909QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bidding Price: 628
    SHIPPING 24.95

PAYMENT: Credit Cards
    BIDDIGN OVER : 1 day 11 hrs

WHAT I LIKE

512 MB
    40 GB
    Warranty included that last until September
    Computer in great condition/ has not been used much
    Can read and write both dvds and cds
    Comes with Kensington Car Charger
    HAS 99 percent positive feedback from 97 people

WHAT IM NOT SURE ABOUT

Operating system: OS X version 10.3.9
    Model: Power Book g4 12''
    CPU Speed GHz
    L2 Cache : 512 KB
    Bus Speed : 133 MHz

2. VegasACF

VegasACF

Go with the first one. Bigger screen, faster processor, longer warranty. Laptops are going to get knicks and dings in them. That's the nature of the beast. So long as it doesn't interfere with the functionality of the computer it's not a big deal.

Whichever one you get, put more RAM in it. More RAM is always a good thing.

3. agirlwithadream

Thanks so much for your suggestion! i am leaning more towards that one. Is there anyone else that might have some more advice? any is welcome! thanks for taking the time to look at it

4. VegasACF

VegasACF

What, my word isn't enough? ;)

Seriously, for what you're looking for the one I suggested is the better of the two, all the way around. The processor is marginally faster. You probably wouldn't notice the difference, but it's there if you should happen to take a course in school where you're doing anything with Photoshop or an Avid program. The larger real estate on the monitor is a very big deal to me. If ever you need to look at two documents at once (for copying/pasting betwixt them, for example) you'll be glad you've got the extra few inches (diagonally) to spare.

To be brutally honest with you, either one of these machines is a dead end road. Neither are being made any longer, as far as I know. The future is Intel-based Macs. Like it or not (I didn't like it at first, but find the versatility hard to argue with), that's a fact. So you might as well get as much computer as you can for the money you're going to spend. For whatever it's worth, I paid about two grand for one just like the one I recommended you choose when they first came out.

It's capable of running the most recent OS, there's a plethora of software available for it (both Mac OS X and Mac OS 9.X--something I can't say with the MacBook Pro from which I'm typing this message [OS 9.X is a thing of the past on this machine]), and it will serve you well for (probably) a number of years.

5. agirlwithadream

Thanks so much for going into that kind of detail. it is easier to see now why you would choose that one. I guess I will elliminate the second one then lol. I agree that more computer space would be worth it and a bigger screen! was confused though as to whether u thought the first one was that great though. In your opinion which I really respect, what is the best kind of laptop in general to look for on ebay that you think you could get a good deal on...or at least a laptop that will be around for a while. I dont want to be stuck with a laptop that is out of date and no one can help me fix it you know! look forward to hearing from you

6. agirlwithadream

7. Pensacola Tiger

Pensacola Tiger

Here are my thoughts:

I'd forget eBay. While you might find a decent machine offered there, you can also get ripped off easily. If you want to save money over a new machine, buy an Apple Certified Refurbished one directly from Apple. (http://store.apple.com/). The link to refurbished models is the red 'Sale' tag on the right margin of the page. What is offered changes frequently, but a refurbished MacBook is listed right now for $949. There was a 12" G4 iBook for $799 earlier this week, but it's gone now. These laptops have a one-year warranty from Apple and this can be extended to three by buying extended AppleCare as long as the original warranty is in effect.

One of the most important things to consider is the warranty. Without the warranty, unless you are skilled in repairing laptops, fixing one may cost more than buying another.

If a refurbished model is too high, go over to Ars-Technica (http://arstechnica.com) and check the Agora Classifieds. Many of the members follow what is termed the 'Jade Plan' (named after the member 'Jade' who originated it). They will buy a new laptop, use it for a year, and then sell it and buy the latest model. Usually they buy AppleCare before they sell it to enhance the value.

You also might look at Baucom Computers (http://www.baucomcomputers.com/), Mac Of All Trades (http://www.macofalltrades.com/) or Wegener Media (http://www.wegenermedia.com/). All three are established Mac dealers.

Also, keep in mind that the laptops you are looking at are old G4 models, and Apple has moved on to Intel processors. I'm already saving to replace my current PowerBook with a MacBook/MacBook Pro, as I expect that in a year or so, software for the older G4/G5 machines will no longer be produced. So to maximize the time that your laptop will not be obsolete, you should consider the Intel Macs.

Good luck, however you may decide.

8. VegasACF

VegasACF

In general, I cannot disagree with Pensacola's post. But, frankly, it's because I've never really done the eBay thing much, other than to buy an odd audio CD or two. That said, I've not had a bad experience therein, either. So my opinion, as far as it goes, goes as far as it goes... Purchasing an out-of-print CD by The Producers (not the Broadway show... the 80s band) does not equate to purchasing a CD for 50 times that amount.

If you feel comfortable purchasing this computer on eBay, by all means do so. Don't worry about not getting support from Apple. While they might not produce OSes or software that will work on this computer into the near future, they will support your computer. I can still get some semblance of support for my 9600, purchased in 1998.

Developers will leave this computer in the dust before long, but that does not mean that the software they've already created will cease to exist, nor the support therefor.

I can recommend Apple refurbs. But you have to follow your heart. If it leads you to this computer, then get it.

9. agirlwithadream

Thank you so much for the time that both of you guys put into your post. That is so great and has helped me out alot! Pensacola I did go to the Mac of All Trades and am looking at a few computers on there. That is a nice website. However for alot of the computers they dont include the cd that server is on or whatever you call it that you need to download everything. I was confused with that. But anyway some of them had the OS cd. They had good prices. THe other two links I was unable to get to for some reason!? mabe there no longer there anymore.

Vegas I appreciate greatly what you said to! I have not completely ruled out ebay. There is another computer on there http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330013208224&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:US:1&rd=1 It is an HP and is being sold by a student. I emailed him and he said he purchased it in 2004. It appears to be in good condition. What do you think ? just if you get the chance to look at it! =o) It has 704 MB isnt that alot? most computers have 512 if that. Every once in a while you will see one with 1 GB but not to often on ebay. THe guy selling this computer also said he had Microsoft Office on there which is a plus

THanks again guys for all the help. Yall are making this process much easier for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! have a good night Jenny

10. macdudenj

macdudenj

The other links are not coming up because the link has an extra ")" on the end of the web address. Just remove the ")" and the link will go through.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488503

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice