1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Made a Boob with Partition Magic

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by leachim, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. leachim

leachim Thread Starter

Hi

I took out a drive from a friends computer and put it in mine because I have PM installed.

His Problem is that he reinstalled xp into a small partition (c) onto his 160 Gb disk. Partition D is huge and holds his old os.

The space on c is 3 Gb and there is no room left.

What I was hoping to do was to use PM to move the partition to increase the space for C.

I opened PM and it said there was some errors on this drive - do you want to fix them - I said yes.

Now it wont boot in the original computer and PM has blanked out the drive in yellow and said bad sectors. (the data is still on the drive though)

How do I get it back to boot - mbr ? :confused:

Hope someone can help

Thanks

Mike

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The hard drive failed. You're not going to be able to get it to boot. If you need the data on it, take it out and try some recovery software, but with actual damage, I wouldn't hold out much hope.

3. leachim

leachim Thread Starter

It booted ok when in the original computer.

Now when I fixed "errors" with Partition Magic from within another computer, the damn thing wouldn't boot from its original source....

Is it because of PM :mad:

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If the drive has bad sectors, then it's shot. Partition Magic didn't physically damage the drive, it just marked the sectors as bad.

Yes, it booted okay in the original computer before you repartitioned, but as a part of the partitioning process, bad sectors were written to with data. Now the drive won't boot.

5. leachim

leachim Thread Starter

Ah

I didnt repartition though - before I did anything, PM asked me if I wanted to fix errors - I said yes.

I have heard of fixmbr and fixboot - would anything else help ?

6. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Hello leachim :)

I was cleaning out my Documents folder this morning and came across this saved file.
    I've never needed or tried this, but here it is. Hope it is useful.

7. leachim

leachim Thread Starter

Thanks for all that

Just tried most of it to no avail - must be an important first sector that has gone.

I put the disk in another computer to get off some data, but a My Documents folder says "Access is denied"

Any idea how I get over that one....

Thanks

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

9. leachim

leachim Thread Starter

Yep, that sorted the ownership issue

Cheers

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485058

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice