1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Made a right mess of my startup!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Byron2808, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Byron2808

Byron2808 Thread Starter

Hi,

Right I'm gonna be honest & admit I've screwed up in style, hoping someone can show me a way to go back!!!

Trying to clense Compaq NX7010 laptop, XP Pro SP3, It was locked to a company network (legitimate sale transfer as an old unit) which I managed to unlock, set up new local user account, install updates, go online etc, everything WAS fine & ran well for 3 days!

Then for some reason which I cant remember, cockiness & curiosity? Yesterday I right clicked C drive, properties, security & changed and tried to take ownership of everything, it ran then seemed OK. But upon restarting it gets to the windows XP boot page and other than the blue bar whizzing accros the screen as usual it just wont startup/go to log in screen.

It can start in safe mode & I can go in as administrator, but a system restore doesnt work, it says its been successful, but on restarting, it just seems to hang as above.

THEN in a final act of stupidity I went back in in safe mode & deleted what I assumed were now unnessecery old users from when the laptop was a works unit, taking up space? I dunno why either!! Is no worse, but then what I've done so far is bad enough!!

Any ideas how to get back to "normal" so it boots? I dont remember what I've done, and going back in looking at the user profiles etc, confusing!!!

I appreciate I've not given you alot to go on, but will supply whatever info is needed if you advise. Didnt want to say too much asto cause confusion or be irrelevant.

Have tried to run recovery console, but wont boot from CD even though I've told BIOS to boot from cd 1st, and it even asks, but XP cd still wont boot.

Any ideas gratefully received,

Dan.

2. warrior19

warrior19

Thats a big mess. Take it back maybe :)

Can you check the XP CD is legitimate and will boot ok from another PC...like the one you are using to post here?

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What you really need to do is format the hard drive and do a fresh install of XP so you can start out clean instead of inheriting all the crap in it from the previous owner.

Is the CD an actual original XP CD, or is it a recovery CD or some burned off copy?

----------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913776

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice