1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mail Icon in XP pro control panel will not open

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by wsmtechsupport, Sep 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wsmtechsupport

wsmtechsupport Thread Starter

Mail Icon will not open - I get message that I need more memory or I need to close some programs - the machine has 3 gigs of ram, and the hard drive has 50 gigs free and no other programs are open. I am using Office 2000 Outlook.

2. Hughv

Hughv

What email accounts are controlled by Outlook?
    You may have a problem with one or more of them.

3. wsmtechsupport

That is why I want to go into the Mail section of control panel to check E-mail account settings.

However, I have two account and they both seem to work except sending batch e-mails (distribution list) under BCC on one of the accounts. They seem to be sending but just one at a time.

At this point I am going to try to repair Outlook from within and see what happens.

WSMtechsupport (out)

4. Hughv

Hughv

You can check Outlook accounts by just opening Outlook.
    I've never seen anyone use the CP Icon, but I guess somebody must.
    You probably need to eliminate one of the accounts and re-create it. Gmail, maybe?

5. wsmtechsupport

Resolved problem by using "Detect and Repair" under help in Outlook tool bar.

This action required my Office 2000 installation disks and that resolved the access problem.

Thanks to all that are thinking about this problem.

WSMtechsupport (out)

6. wsmtechsupport

Thanks Hugh!

Now I wonder how sending distribution lists is supposed to work via an smtp server. Is the distribution list in BCC sent just one at a time or as a batch. What I observed with about 50 names is a very slow, maybe 5 minutes, send rate.

I thought they should go as a batch to be handled at the hosting companies mail server.

What do you think?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751236