1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mail Labels from OUtlook 2010

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Burnhamlad, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Burnhamlad

Burnhamlad Thread Starter

I have just spent a couple of hours trying to fathom the totally impenetrable instructions from Microsoft on how to do something that is so simple on Lotus Organiser, print a set of mail labels. Not only are the toolbar instructions given different names to the ones actually on the tool bar, but the buttons are not named exactly the same either. Are they all mad or on something at MS?

When you try to follow them all sorts of extra dialog boxes pop up and it suddenly starts to print something, when I never went near an instruction to print.

I have created my address list and allocated a category to the group I want to print labels for of a basic L7163 Avery label

All I want to do is select that list and put the names and addresses onto a label - not too much to ask for such a supposedly sophisticated piece of software, or is it? The stuff on their website is so suitable opaque as to be useless!

Can anybody out there tell me where I can go to find some simple intelligible instructions on how to do this, or am I best keeping my old copy of Organiser up to date?

Best wishes,

burnhamlad

2. WendyM

WendyM Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi burnhamlad,
    Do you have Microsoft Word? If so, I can walk you through the steps of printing the address labels which will be much easier than attempting to do it directly from Outlook.

3. Burnhamlad

Wendy,

Thanks for the offer - yes I do have Word. The situation is that I have just upgraded my laptop from an old XP machine to a new W7 one and some of the functionality I got from legacy software will not really translate from XP to 7, such as trying to maintain two address books, one on Thunderbird and one on Organiser. As a result I thought I would bring them together on Outlook since it said you could categorise your address list members and create labels from it.....

Having spent several days creating and importing data to my new Outlook Address list, any help would be much appreciated!

Best wishes

A.

4. draceplace

draceplace

Burnhamlad, Open Word and select mailings tab, "start" mail merger", select the Avery Label (under Avery A4/a5) you want. one of the options for recipients will be to select from outlook contacts. You may want to map the fields, try default first. I haven't done mail merge in a while, if you need further assistance maybe Wendy will check in.

5. WendyM

Bringing them together in Outlook is a good idea. You just have to start from Word instead of starting from Outlook. Assuming you're using Word 2010:

• Start with a blank document and select the Mailings tab.
    • Drop down the box for Start Mail Merge and select "Step by Step Mail Merge Wizard".
    • In the Mail Merge pane that opens on the right, select "Labels" and click Next.
    • Select "Change document layout" (probably already selected). Click the link for Label Options and select your label size. Click OK and then click Next.
    • Select "Select from Outlook contacts". Click the link for Choose Contacts Folder and select the folder you want to merge. Click OK and then make any necessary changes to the Contacts list. Click OK and then click Next.
    • Click the link for Address block and make any necessary formatting changes. Click OK and then click "Update all labels". Click Next.
    • If your labels look ok, click Next.
    • You can either Merge directly to the printer or you can select Edit individual labels. If you choose Edit individual labels, select Merge all. This will give you a document with all of your labels that you can save and print later if you'd like.

Let us know if the steps don't work for you.

[posting at the same time Dan was posting :)]

6. Burnhamlad

Hi Wendy and Dan,

Thanks for the time you have taken to respond, it is great of you to help. I am sorry that I have not had a chance to have a go yet as I was away from home for a few days visiting relatives and have just returned. I will have a go over the next day or so and will come back if I have any more problems.

Once again your help is appreciated!

Happy New Year

BL

7. Burnhamlad

Hi Wendy,

I followed you instructions to the letter and all went well until I reached the stage "Select from Outlook Contacts" when instead of being asked for a Contacts folder, I was asked to select a profile, but there was only one called "Outlook". As a result I hit OK and immediately got an error message saying "Word has stopped working" and asking me to a) search for a solution online and close word or b) just close Word. Whichever I did, it closed Word regardless.

I repeated it half a dozen times just to make sure it wasn't me hitting a wrong button, but the same thing happened every time. Any suggestions welcome, needless to say!

Best wishes and Happy New Year,

BL

8. draceplace

draceplace

Try downloading\exporting the contact list to Excel then point word at it for the mail merge.

9. WendyM

Hi Bl, sorry it's taken me so long to respond.

Was Outlook open when you were trying the mail merge? If not, try opening it before you start and let us know if you have the same problem.

10. Burnhamlad

Hi Wendy,

Yep - had Outlook open and the same thing happened at the same stage. The error box said Word had stopped working and had a message which said "Let MS search for a solution to the problem" so I said OK. It showed something working and then the box disappeared and nothing - no solution, no error message or anything......

Thanks for any advice!

Regards,

BL

11. WendyM

Well, that sounds awesome. :)

Were you able to give Dan's suggestion a try and export your contacts to Excel? That might tell us whether the problem is with Outlook or with Word.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082448

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice