1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mail-Merge documents cease to work

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by DKTaber, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

I've had this problem for several years and would like to find out why. I create a mail-merge letter in Word 2000 using an Access 2000 query as the data source. Works perfectly on my non-networked computer at home. I take it to the organization (a foundation) that wants to use it and where the Access (they have 2003) query is in a file with the same name, but the tables reside on a server (the database is a client/server design where the client part is on all the workstations). The links to the tables are all correct, so the client side of the split database has the same access to all the tables as I have on my home computer. BUT. . . the mail-merge document no longer works.

I have tried removing the header information from the document and starting all over selecting the data source again, etc. Still does not work.

What causes this and how can I fix it?

2. OBP

OBP

Don, do you start the Word Doc using VBA from within Access?
    I have never used Mail Merge, what is the mail merge based on in the Access Database, a Table, a Query output or a Report?

3. Rockn

Rockn

Is there any directory security where the database is sitting on the server that may be causing the merge to not work? Try creating a new merge document on a workstation in the office and point it to the same query you normally use to see what happens.

4. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Per the original message, it's a query. But Access sees queries as "sub-tables", so it makes no difference whether it's a query or a table.

5. OBP

OBP

Don, the reason that asked was leading to where Rockn has already gone.
    Plus is the Query on the Back- end or the front end?
    Doe it actually return the Values that your Word Doc expects?

6. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

There is no security blocking access to the tables. I tried creating a merge doc on a workstation by copying the text from the non-working merge doc to a new doc, then using Mail-Merge Helper to select the data source, etc. Still didn't work. However, that may have been because in doing the copy-and-paste, I picked up the invisible code in the old document. I have not tried creating a document from scratch on a workstation.

Something I didn't put in the original message is that I had actually created two similar merge documents on my home computer, each using a different query. Both worked on my computer, but when I put them on the Foundation's workstation, one DID work but the other didn't. That complicates the issue even more; why would both work fine on my computer, but one does and one doesn't on the Foundation's workstation!!??

7. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Query is in the front end and it does return the values the Word doc expects.

8. Rockn

Rockn

Where is the data source path on the home computer where it does work and the path to the datasource on the network where it diesn't work?

9. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Path on my home computer is C:\KalmarNyckel\KNF Database\KNFForms.mdb\(query).
    Path at Foundation office is C:\KalmarNyckel\KNFForms.mdb\(query).

Table link on my computer is C:\KalmarNyckel\KNFTables.mdb
    Table link at Foundation office is H:\Access\KNF MemVol\KNFTables.mdb

10. Rockn

Rockn

That is why it won't work. If you had the same directory structure on a client computer for where the database (MDB) file resides on the C drive as they are at home it would work. When doing development you should mirror the environment where it will finally be rolled out as closely as possible to prevent these types of problems.

H is more than likely a mapped drive with a UNC of something like \\servername\share\access\KNF MemVol\KNFTables.mdb

11. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

But then why does one of the letters work both on my computer and the Foundation's, but the other, which is quite similar and uses a query from the same front end, does not?

I probably should emphasize that NO MM letter I do on my computer, then transfer to a Foundation workstation, will work as is; I always have to respond to the message that comes up when it's initially opened that it cannot find the data source and I have to click the button to find it. I tell it where it is, and some letters work perfectly after that, others never work.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544072

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice