1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mail Merge in word 07

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by cmutech, May 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmutech

cmutech Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

I have an end user who is needing to set up word 2007 mail merge. She is drawing her list of recipients from our SQL server database. She is needing to place up to nine names into a 3x3 table, with one name per cell. Our problem is that some of the schools she is doing this for don't have nine people. So not all nine cells are filled. Now the problem this causes is that when one page doesn't fill all of the cells word starts grabbing names that are supposed to be on the next page (school) and using them to fill the partially filled chart. This is a huge problem because each page is a different school with different Board members. So I need to figure out a way to separate the charts so that each page's chart is filled according to the School name that is pulled from the database. She is currently having to do a separate merge for each school, we have 56 different schools. And it is an extreme hassle for her. If you have any suggestions please let me know. Also if you need me to clarify anything, please send me a message.

Thanks

2. cmutech

cmutech Thread Starter

Name Name Name
    Name Name Name
    Name Name Name

It's going to look similar to that, but there is going to be a chart surrounding it. and each Name is a different board member. however some schools dont have 9 board members, and word is currently pulling the names from the next school on the list in order to fill all 9 cells. How do i Prevent it for doing this without having to do a new mail merge for each school?

3. cmutech

cmutech Thread Starter

What I'd like to do is mail merge from my data source into a Word table.
    So, in order to put more than one record in the 3x3 table, I use the NEXT field
    code in each new cell. The problem with this is that if I have 3 rows and 3 columns per
    page. Now I'm filling each cell with an address block of each of the board member for a specific school. Now my problem is that some schools have less board members than there are cells to fill. But word starts to pull data from the next school in order to fill all 9 cells. and now I have a letter with board members from 2 different schools. Is there anyway I can cut word off once it has entered all the names from that specific school. and then pick up the data onto the next page with the new/correct school. Any suggestions? I don't even know were to start, and I've been at this for a few days now!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/924977

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice