Mail merge problem - Word consistently cannot find file

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

boxergal

I've used Word's mail merge feature for many years to update phone lists, address lists, mailing labels, etc. from an excel spreadsheet that has all of the contact information for my department. Since upgrading to Word 2003, I'm consistently experiencing this problem: Every time I open an existing mail merge document in Word 2003, I get these two messages:

"Opening this document will run the following SQL command ..." and then it references the filters that I have set up in Word for the mail merge.

It then says "data from your database will be placed in the document, do you want to continue?" If I reply No, it opens the mail merge document, but does not link to the excel spreadsheet - which is what you would expect it to do.

But when I reply Yes (which is the correct answer) it takes me to the screen where it asks me to "select data source" (which in effect is the same as replying No)

Prior to upgrading to Word 2003 (SP2 on XP platform), Word would remember where the Excel file was located. Is there a workaround to eliminate this extra step? I use these files on a regular basis, the excel file name never changes nor does its location change. I don't understand what is prompting Word to ask me to find the excel file each time I open the Word merge document.

Can anyone help me figure this one out?

Thanks in advance,
Sharon

Anne Troy

Anne
Once you have selected your data source, have you saved your file (at least once)? Perhaps it's never been saved since you updated?

boxergal

Even when the file has been saved, Word continues to prompt for the file location. It's bizarre and frustrating.

According to this: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011095521033.aspx that is a "feature" of Word 2003 - MS intended for you to always have to re-designate the data file.
To quote from the bottom of the page, "When you save the main document, in addition to its content and fields, you also save its connection to the data file. The next time you open the main document, you're prompted to choose whether you want the information from the data file to be merged again into the main document."

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.