1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mail merge to e-mail using Word / Outlook 2011 for Mac

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by SteveBandido, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SteveBandido

SteveBandido Thread Starter

Can anyone advise me if there are limits anywhere to the number of e-mails I can send out simultaneously when using a mail merge to e-mail? I have set up and tested the mail merge and it :confused:all works fine, but I don't want to launch the real one only to get problems. I have a mailing list with 1,600 addresses, I'm using Outlook and Word 2011 for Mac to do this.

2. draceplace

draceplace

One of the problems your going to face is getting labeled as a spammer. If your sending these internally it may not be a problem. The standard answer for this is to Outsource this if your sending over 100. Good decision not to launch the real one yet.

A detailed response to similar question in StackOverFlow

3. SteveBandido

SteveBandido Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback, appreciated. I'm thinking that as I am using a list whereby the participants have already opted in to receive marketing mails, that I should be OK? The message is text only and advising a new business. Or am I likely to still be classified as spam?

4. draceplace

draceplace

The problem is the volume (perhaps volume per hour). the Mail servers/monitors out there don't care about the content or the reciepient they are just counting emails from a source. Once you pass a threshold your spam.

I am no expert on this but I was an network administrator a few years ago and a company client had email that weren't reaching us (and others I later found out). After researching I discovered they had been labeled spam. Our email server was subscribed to a 'spam list' (common practice) and blocked anything coming from there. It took them months to get off that list.

I'm sure things have changed since then. In my brief research yesterday I saw where 20 emails per hour would keep you off the list. Don't trust me on this. Do some diligent research and before firing off 1500 emails.

And report back your findings so others can enjoy!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1091069

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice