1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mail Merge WORKS SPDSHEET & SML BIZ WORD

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Marina30, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Marina30

Marina30 Thread Starter

Wow, I hope that title made sense! I am supposed to do a project for someone. She wants a mailing database for her small business. I am perhaps what you would call a beginner. I've had a little exposure to various programs and was off and running with some tutorials coaching me through Mail Merge with MS Word and MS Excel. In the interim, 2 things happened. My computer crashed and I ended up having to buy some new software -- I have an OEM version of MS Office Small Business XP with Word 2002 coming to me in the mail -- and the second thing is that my client wants me to use the MS Works spreadsheet, which is what she has in her computer, rather than Excel. So now I'm thinking of going out and buying MS Works for another $49 or whatever, and using the MS Works spreadsheet with the Small Business Office Word (She has Word, but I think it came packaged with MS Office Suite). So... can I do what she wants of me by using the MS Word I'll be getting in the mail, with the MS Works spreadsheet? Is there any problem with that? Please advise in whatever way you can. Would much appreciate it! By the way, I now have Windows XP on a brand new computer.

2. XL Guru

XL Guru

>> can I do what she wants of me by using the MS Word
    >> I'll be getting in the mail, with the MS Works spreadsheet?

I'd have to question why "client wants me to use the MS Works spreadsheet" when you BOTH have Word, or soon will have. If it's just a mailing d-base thing, Word can easily use a (separate) WORD table doc as the data source for mailmerge. I'd recommend this as a first option, since there'd be no need to have 2 separate progs communicating w/each other.

As far as using a Works ss goes, (I don't know about more recent versions but going by older ones) probably not. I'd guess the best you could do would be to save (ie: make a copy of) the Works ss in Excel format (Save As), then use that as the data source.

Rgds,
    Andy

3. Marina30

Marina30 Thread Starter

Thanks, Andy. From what I've read or heard, I have the impression that most people prefer (enjoy) using the Excel and then merging, rather than just using Word, and from my little bit of experience, I would be inclined to agree, though perhaps I just haven't given Word enough of a chance. My little bit of exposure to mail merge ocurred in a class where it was demonstrated with Word and Excel. Maybe it depends on the situation. She wants many different fields and will probably have 800 to 1000 addresses.
    I was quite happy starting the project in Excel. When I said that she wanted me to use a merge with Word and Works ss, what I should have said is that she wants me to use the same software that she has. It would be fine with her if it was all done in Word, as long as it functioned well. I am the one who wanted to use Word and Excel to begin with, and so, since she doesn't have Excel, wondered about using the Works ss instead. Now I'm not sure if I should spend time trying to learn how to do the whole thing in Word (when I finally receive the software) or not. If I make a copy of the works ss using Excel format, she won't be happy, because she wants to be able to take over from her computer, which doesn't have Excel.

Thanks a bunch for your feedback! Marina

ps I was liking the online tutorials I was using, as well. I guess I will try to hunt up some online tutorials about doing the whole thing in Word.

4. XL Guru

XL Guru

"For a mail merge, you need a data source file that contains a record on each item. For instance, a record might be one person's name and mailing address, or a part number with its dimensions and price."

"This data file can be in one of many different formats. It may already be in a Word table, an Excel file, an Access database table or query, a comma-separated file (CSV file), or other file."

Says Anne.

See http://theofficeexperts.com/word.htm , "MailMerge".

Rgds,
    Andy

5. Marina30

Marina30 Thread Starter

Yes, but making the data source files in Word, expecially for such a big project, seems a lot more cumbersome than where it's all nicely arranged in the spreadsheet.

I have spoken to someone else today who says there should be no problem in doing the data source in Works spreadsheet and then merging with Word documents. Perhaps I'm not saying things right and there has been a misunderstanding.

If I can do a mail merge with Word documents and all the names and addresses in their various categories stored on the Works spreadsheets, then that would be the way to go at this point. I will take a look at the link you sent me. Thanks! :)

6. Marina30

Marina30 Thread Starter

I should have also mentioned that there is no data source already in place. It all has to be typed from lists.

7. XL Guru

XL Guru

>> If I can do a mail merge with Word documents and all the names
    >> and addresses in their various categories stored on the
    >> Works spreadsheets, then that would be the way to go at this point.

Sure, "if". My Word (2K) Help says "You can use just about any type of data source you want, including a Microsoft Word table, Microsoft Outlook contact list, Microsoft Excel worksheet, Microsoft Access database, or text file". Doesn't mention Works.

Check Help in whichever version of Word you have/get to see if it mentions Works d-base or spreadsheet as an option.

Incidentally, a Works d-base can be used as the merge source for a Works WP doc, tho' that won't help your user ; you'd have to convert the d-base to *.dbf to use it in Word, AFAIK.

>> someone else ... says there should be no problem in
    >> doing the data source in Works spreadsheet and then
    >> merging with Word documents

In that case, I suggest someone else tells Micro$oft ; they seem to think you can't do it directly -

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=102632

Rgds,
    Andy

8. Marina30

Marina30 Thread Starter

OK, Andy, thanks again for your time and feedback. I will read the latest link and tell "someone else!"

9. Marina30

Marina30 Thread Starter

Andy, I just read the link you last sent and it is sounding like you can merge Word and Works spreadsheet here:

In Word for Windows, do the following:

1. Open or create the Word for Windows document you want to use.
    2. From the File menu, click Print Merge.
    3. Select Attach Header File.
    4. In the Attach Header File screen, click Create Header File.
    5. Enter the name of the first field that will correspond with the field in your Works Spreadsheet or Database file and click Add.

It does refer to older versions. I have Windows XP, Word 2002, and, if I get it, I will have version 8.0 (whatever the latest one is) of Works.

I have to go out for a while now. Onward through the fog! :cool:

10. XL Guru

XL Guru

>> it is sounding like you can merge Word and Works spreadsheet here

Please read the whole page. What it actually says is that you cannot use the Works spreadsheet "as is". You have to go through the "In Works for Windows" steps first, including "Step 3 - from the File menu, click Save As". Eventually you'll end up with a TXT file which Word can use. However, this process would have to be done every time the spreadsheet is changed to ensure that the TXT version stays up-to-date. It's just a question of whether (you think) the user is up to that.

You may be able to use a Works d-base in later versions, eg: Works Suite 2004 ... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832796

Rgds,
    Andy

11. Marina30

Marina30 Thread Starter

Wow, ok, yes -- guilty of skimming!

That would be quite a hassle to do it that way. What a pity.

OK, I'll have to sleep on it.

Sincere thanks!

By the way, I love what you said about your experience level -- very clever!

Regards, Marina

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/283948

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice