1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mail Merge + XP settings

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by DaveSS, Apr 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DaveSS

DaveSS Thread Starter

Hi Folks,

We've upgraded to Office XP in an office. We use Mail merge with Word and excel a lot.

I've noticed that MS have changed Mailmerge to a wizard. Which in theory is quite easy. However as we are based in Europe I am having problems allocating address lines.

We basically have address 1, 2,3,4,5. And do not have things like State, or postal code.

Word gives you the option of associating your own field names to it's ones ie Address 4 can be related to Postcode. However I am still having problems with this as

1. You have to do this everytime you do a merge, and showing a multitude of staff this is a serious pain.

3. It still ends up with long address, as displaying up to two fields per line: particularily the last line.

Does anyone have a solution to this.

Or is there a way of not using the wizard. I now you can edit in field names individually through the wizard, but this is a very slow process.

Thanks

Dave

2. XL Guru

XL Guru

3. DaveSS

DaveSS Thread Starter

Andy,

Thanks for that. Unfortuately what they are suggesting there is very awkward, as inserting the fields this way means inserting a field, clicking close on the "insert" window, inserting a space, going back into edit, clicking the next field and so on. While providing an accurate solution, it's still painful in implement!

I don't get why MS didn't leave the old method open!!?!!!
    Dave

4. jbcalg

jbcalg

lol
    yes, just experienced the pain myself last night setting up an 'easy' merge.

next time i'll just use Office 2000 on the other machine - Office XP is a little too clunky for this

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216465

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice