1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mail on two mail programs

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by CarrollM, Nov 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarrollM

CarrollM Thread Starter

I use Outlook Express ( or have been) till my last reboot due to a virus. I have a Dell Dimension 8400 with With XP Media Center computer. Over the years I had rebooted my XP browser computer many times using a program called e-Backup. It would mainly save all my mail data, favorites and other files which would change daily.( files on C drive used all the time). Somehow this program stopped working and on the last two times I rebooted the computer my manual saving of the Windows mail files would not reload correctly on the reboot. My son talked me into using a mailprogram (Yahoo) so that the mail would be saved on their server if the computer was rebooted. I like this feature but I miss the many things I got used to using on Outlook Express and are not on Yahoo. Is there a way to use Express but still use a provider like Yahoo so the mail is on both. Better still are their any other programs that would save the mail files automatically when rebooting the system so that if saved it would put them back in the correct areas when the Express files reload. I know this may sound silly to some but I like Outlook Express, am used to it and would still like to continue. My Xp program and I are both too old and stubborn to change and their must be others like me that would buy a program that would do the above. Sorry this was so long.

Carroll

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You didn't ask, but here's How to Access a Free Yahoo! Mail Account with Outlook Express.

I assume your main account must be POP. I assume OE has some choices about saving mail on the server (e.g., don't save, or save for a week, or save forever, or save until deleted from inbox); if so, how do you have yours set? Or does your email provider have a very low limit?

Gmail.com and aim.com are two mail services that don't require special programs to use them with an email client. Aim is IMAP and Gmail gives you the choice of POP or IMAP. Hotmail.com (POP) can be used with Microsoft's email clients.

I don't understand your problems with losing mail on a reboot.

3. CarrollM

CarrollM Thread Starter

Sorry I was so long in replying but the Thanksgiving activities slowed me down. The more I used Yahoo the more I decided even with my record of losing my mail files when I reboot the computer I would take Outlook for a mail program anyway. Outlook has so many options I was used to so I moved back to Outlook Express. I did not like all of my mail in one box so to speak, where I have about seven boxes for different clubs or special mail which go to their respective boxes and not clutter up the main mail box. Many other features I now realize I do not want to do without. Thanks for your help. Would like some advice on saving the mail and address files when I reboot. I have done this several times but they never seem to work out. I always keep a print out of my addresses. Thanks for your help. Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.

Carrollm

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028077

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice