1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mail questions

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by starchild, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

I'm sure this is so simple someone else has asked it and been answered before, but I haven't had much luck with searches with past questions.

I have Yahoo mail, and after a few years of the same address it's always full of JUNK. LIke today 8 new emails, all junk and 120 new ones in BULK, etc.

This is beside the point. I am going to make a new yahoo email account, and want to send my new email address to people I want to hear from. How do I do this without all the addresses I'm sending it to showing also?

Is BCC for this? I thought BCC was everyone still gets the email (with everyone's email showing) but the main person it was sent to doesn't show.

Another question, something I've thought of before, but never think to ask when I'm here (LOL)

Is it possible (and if so, how possible/easy) for someone to "get" your email password and be able to open your email account?

Not that I have anything that interesting in mine :)

But, one time someone told me there are programs that run down every letter/number combination till they get the password, and if one knows how to do this it's easy. So, even changing the password occasionally doesn't do any good.

Where emails like yahoo and hotmail can be accessed remotely, anyone who knew the email address of a person would be able to do this. If it's possible.

I know, nothing is totally private on the internet, but just wondering how secure a password really is?

~ Carrie

2. Moby

Moby

Hi Carrie, if you put all the addresses in the bcc bit then no-one sees the other peoples e-mail address when they receive the mail. The mail appears to be sent only to them.
    Don't know about the other answer.

3. skewedview

skewedview

The security of a password is affected by several factors.

1. Is it easy to figure out. ie... Date of Birth, Name, Anniversary and the like these are weak pwd's.

2. Sharing your pwd with anyone will undermine the value of that pwd on any information you have.

3. Maintaining the overall security of your computer from viruses, trojans, key loggers or any other spyware by regularly running scans for such items and changing pwd's after your system has been compromised.

4. Also using a combination of alpha numeric characters over 8 characters in length will strengthen your pwd.

MHO on passwords

Skewedview

4. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Thanks!

All my problems should be so easily solved...

~Carrie

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115919

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice