1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mailbox quota

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Nick517, Mar 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nick517

Nick517 Thread Starter

I just now registered here because in trying to resolve an email problem I found a thread that was a couple of years old on this website that mentioned the same issue, but it didn't appear to be fixed at the time. I was migrating from a Windows 7 PC to a Windows 8 and everything transferred smoothly -- documents, photos, music, etc. Then I tried to set up my email. I entered all of the info (account, imap, smtp, etc.) and it all seemed to work -- and then all hell broke loose with about 100 messages saying I'd exceeded my mailbox quota. Looks like spam, and I marked it as junk, deleted it, removed it from the trash, etc. Did the same thing on the ISP website, and identified it as span there. Also checked to make sure the "leave a copy of messages on the server" was unchecked and cleaned out the other folders of things that were old. I've gone folder by folder to make one of them isn't stockpiling messages and there are none. It simply isn't possible that I'm exceeding my quota. I'm also getting messages (also from "admin," which Suddenlink say isn't them) that legit messages are being "bounced" because my mailbox is full. One of those just came in, so I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what the problem is, because my ISP (Suddenlink) has no idea what's going on. I've pasted it below the line. Help???:confused:
    ==============================================================================================
    Content-Type: text/plain
    Return-Path: <>
    Subject: ATTENTION: Bounced Message Notification, bytes in the mailbox!!
    Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 09:46:53 -0500
    Message-ID: 1d21cefe-cfd9-11e4-b45a-44574fab1606

A message was sent to you that was returned to the sender(bounced)
    because it would have caused your mailbox quota to be exceeded.

The following is the reason that the message was over quota:
    Quota Type: bytes in the mailbox
    Quota Available: 109
    Total Quota: 56320000
    The following is the information on the message that was bounced:

Sender: "Josh Nelson, CREDO Action" <[email protected]>
    Subject: The chemical safety bill was written by the chemical industry?!?
    Size: 22823
    Message ID: 1d082940-cfd9-11e4-aac7-8898dd53d69e
    Date: Sat Mar 21 09:46:53 2015
    Reply-To: "Josh Nelson, CREDO Action" <[email protected]>
    The message was bounced from the following folder:
    INBOX

To fix this problem, delete some messages from your mailbox, and contact
    the sender to resend the message. If the size of the message is too big, contact the sender to reduce the
    size of the message and resend the message.
    ===============================================================================================

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

Just so we are clear, your ISP has looked at your mailbox and confirmed that it is not full, also you have tested it by sending yourself messages from one or more different accounts and those messages are not bouncing, correct?

3. Nick517

Nick517 Thread Starter

Well, the ISP rep says it isn't full, but when I tried to send a message from my office account, I got the bounced-back message. Maybe I should try chatting with another ISP tech?

4. Nick517

Nick517 Thread Starter

Oh, and the Suddenlink rep said the messages I'm getting from "admin" are not from Suddenlink. If Suddenlink were sending the messages, he said they'd come from "Postmaster."

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Can you get into your email by using your browser and going to the Suddenlink site?

If so, login and see what is in the "Spam" and all other folders, as they may be trying to download also.

6. Nick517

Nick517 Thread Starter

I did that this morning and found there were 678 messages in the trash folder that I think went there after I marked one of the over-quota messages as spam. I emptied that folder, but the only thing that's coming to the inbox are still either over-quota or bounced-back messages. I just checked the manage-folders option again, and the junk, deleted-items, and trash folders are all empty. Here's an odd thing though (or it seems odd to me, non-techie that I am). In the manage-folders view where I can see how many messages are in each folder and how large they are, I'm seeing things like this:

Inbox folder: 10 messages, 10,056 KB
    Apple folder: 75 messages, 1,171 KB

How can 10 messages take up more KB than 75? And yes, among those 10 in the inbox, 4 are either over-quota or bounced-back. I was thinking about just creating another account for myself in Gmail, but I don't want to transfer whatever spam thing is going on here.

7. Nick517

Nick517 Thread Starter

I can also send from my Suddenlink account, but not to it.

8. Nick517

Nick517 Thread Starter

I'm thinking about just transferring everything to my Gmail account and ditching Suddenlink, but I don't want to send whatever problem is crashing my Suddenlink inbox to my Gmail account ....

9. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    No need to transfer.

Simply send an email from your gmail account to your contacts to update your email address to this one.

From time to time, check your Suddenlink inbox and see if you need to tell anyone about the email address change. Also empty the trash and make sure nothing is in there that is not spam.

10. CleaverX

CleaverX

yes switching to gmail can be a good move, the behavior you are experiencing is exactly what happens when you exceed your quota; be advised that a quota can be enforced to any size, it does not have to wait until your mailbox is full. I do not believe you were given the best support advise from your current provider. Good luck.

11. Nick517

Nick517 Thread Starter

Thanks plodr and CleaverX. Switching to my Gmail account sounds better all the time. Question: is there any danger in transferring the .pst file I made from the old PC into the Gmail account so I'll still have the folders? Seems a silly question, I suppose, but since I don't know what caused the problem with Suddenlink, I'm a little leery of using anything connected with it. I did ask Symantec to scan the file for viruses and it found nothing. Would it be better to just make new folders in Gmail and leave the ones I have on the Suddenlink server in case I ever need them?

12. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I have no pst file because I have never used Outlook/Outlook Express, so I have no idea.
    I have used strictly web mail for at least a decade.

13. CleaverX

CleaverX

No there is no danger, but if you cannot just 'take' your .pst file, you must export it and save somewhere easy to find, then if you still intend to use Outlook for your gmail, you can import it out, or just keep it as an archive just in case.

14. Nick517

Nick517 Thread Starter

I'm thinking about just using gmail. I'll have my Suddenlink mail forwarded for 30 days or so, change the address in my online accounts, and continue to monitor the old account for a while. It appears I made a mistake re: the .pst file. I thought that was the only thing necessary to move contacts and calendar items as well, but it looks as if I needed to do those separately. Thanks so much for your help!

15. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Honestly I have never seen that type of message before... seems more spammy than anything. Can you get the internet headers for the email in quesiton?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145213

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice