1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mailmerge excel to word on xp.

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by roddy, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. roddy

roddy Thread Starter

Hi everyone, I have recently "upgraded" to xp professional from win98, and after sorting out one problem after another with compatibility issues (mainly hardware) this one has got me stumped!

Mailmerge from excel sheet to word document, both documents created pre-upgrade, the print is exceedingly slow. when I go to "printers and faxes" and dble clk on default printer (hp laserjet 5l) it pulls the status box and displays the message of the doc title etc. it also shows the document size in kb's and the multible kb's of the entire merge e.g. if I print a mailmerge of 50 letters and each one is 100kb (actual document size is 128Kb) then it displays 100Kb/5Mb, which I assume is the reason it is so bloomin' slow!

Similarly another mailmerge to different document from a different source (still Word and Excel and pre-upgrade) prints no problems at all. Again I set up the print, hit mailmerge, OK'd print properties box, dashed over to "printers and faxes" etc and lo and behold, there was no information in the box, as if it had sent the whole merge straight to the printer. Is this what should happen?

This second O.K. mailmerge prints around every 12 seconds (guesstimate) whereas the one with the problem takes around 2 minutes per page( Similiar sized documents)

If it is of any further help, I finally managed to install the recommended driver for my 5l from the hp site which is a PCL driver written for NT 4.0 / Win 2000, at 3.30 a.m. this morning!!!!! xp kept installing the default driver for this printer which didn't bloomin' work it, and wouldn't let me remove it. I hope all this info helps and was necessary, because typist I ain't!!!!

Please help, if you can, before I die an old, bent and broken man! :confused:

2. downwitchyobadself

downwitchyobadself

Others will be along who are better than I at this kinda problem, but when you preview the mail merge, is it slow, too? (i.e. is this really a print problem...) My suspicion is that you've got an hp driver problem, as I've had some recently with win 2k, and they're quite a party.

3. roddy

roddy Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, Down (hope you don't mind if I abbreviate your name) When you say preview the print i don't usually do that, but I've opened up the document and looked. It opens up and requests the information and requests the DDLink?, everything seems o.k. and normal, I had a look at print preview and this is not slow but I only see one page, is this normal?

What gets me is that some merges print normally but others are exceptionally slow, it doesn't make sense, they were both created on excel and word 2001 on 98 O/S. I've spent hours trolling through them and trying to re-write them etc but to no avail. any other suggestions?

4. roddy

roddy Thread Starter

Thanks to all who checked my thread and to Down, who replied.
    Problem solved!! Something silly as usual!! Something must have happened when the data or mailmerge word document was transferred to xp. i had noticed xp prompts you to the data source file "my data sources" so, using explorer I transferred the files from their original folders to this one, then, Instead of cutting and pasting the original letter to a new page I started from scratch manually typing in the original letters text to new documents. Using the mail merge wizard from scratch then allowed me to set up the fields etc. When I tried "merge to printer" this time it worked beautifully,as fast, if not faster than on '98. Whoopee :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66963

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice