1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mailwasher won't connect to Internet

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by jldjs, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jldjs

jldjs Thread Starter

I just downloaded the free MailWasher 'cause I'm getting inundated with those false Microsoft security patches, etc. I have a cable modem connection to the internet using a wirless adapter and router. When I activate MailWasher I get an error message saying I don't have a connection to the internet and it can't open one. If I first run IE, then Mailwasher connects and does what I need it too. Is there a setting someplace I ened to change?

2. TOGG

TOGG

Last time I looked into the free Mailwasher program it needed to be given server rights to function properly.

If you had a software firewall you should be able to configure it to allow Mailwasher to access the internet and to have server rights. Not sure what you'd need to do with a router though.

3. jldjs

jldjs Thread Starter

I do have Zonealarm and Mailwasher has access rights and ? for server rights, but it has never asked for server permissions. SOmetimes it can connect. I think it might have something (?) to do with my wireless adapter and its connection to the router, like after my system is idle for a while Mailwasher can't find or see the connection!! Any more ideas?

4. Alaska

Alaska

It has been so long since I've used the free versions of MW that I really do not remember its lay out, but I did a search on the MailWasher discussion group and found this in reference to the Pro version being unable to connect with a wireless router:

It was recommended that the person do the followning:
    "Under Tools >> Options >> make sure "Dial up to the internet when user checks mail" is not ticked"

Yes I know from your post that you have a cable connection and the free versions lay out probably is not the same but I think you need to look under "Tools>Options" and check around for something in there to see if you can change a setting. I would assume that any reference to dial up needs to be unchecked, and if you have more than one account make sure under "Accounts" that everything looks kosher as far as email POP3 settings go.

Another thing to check is your firewalls blocked log to see if any connection is being blocked. I do not use ZA but I assume it keeps a blocked log.

5. jldjs

jldjs Thread Starter

I did have the Dial up to ... checked in the options. I removed it now. I saw no blocked attempts in ZA log for MailWasher. THanks for your help. SInce I only have the free version do you think I can see the MailWasher discussion groups? I can't get support. I'm gonna try it for a while and if it makes my life easier I'll donate my $20 bucks to the guy and get the support and stuff.

6. Alaska

Alaska

Below is the link to the MailWasher discussion group:

http://www.computercops.biz/forums.html

I give you the link under the stipulation that you not forget the TSG Forums ;), I don't want to make enemies around here :). I'm not even registered as a member on the MW group. I think you can post over there even though you have the free version. You can even post as "Guest" without registering.

As far as paying the twenty for the free version, if you are in mind to do that later, you might want to go ahead and get the Pro version. BUT I would not be in a rush to do that. You may find that MailWasher is not for you. I personally like it because it allows me to check all of my families accounts at once and delete the spam at the server level, but we do not get as much junk mail as a lot of other people I've heard do.

How about letting us know if unchecking the dial up reference made a change. I'd really like to know.

7. jldjs

jldjs Thread Starter

I think so. I only tried it once since removng the check on dial up in the Options. And, when I checked emails, it connected to my mail server and did its job.
    THanks for the link, I'll look into it.
    And, not to worry about me leaving this forum. I discovered this forum early this week, and the responses I got were great. Better than other forums I tried, like MS'. I still have one "nut" to crack and I've already reviewed numerous responses on the W98, etc forum. I also have the W98 shutdown problem where it restarts instead of shutting down. I'm trying some of the suggestions and feel confident with help from these forums I'll get an explanation and solution.
    THanks again for your help.

8. Alaska

Alaska

Something I just thought of:
    Under "Tools>Options" where you unchecked the "Dial up to..." reference if there is something labeled "Assume I'm online" or something like that, you may want to put a check mark in that box.

Good Luck in your fight against spam.

9. jldjs

jldjs Thread Starter

No, I don't have that as an Option.
    So far, MailWasher is saving me time and effort getting rid of the crap and it is easy to use.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167661

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice