1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Main Board Swap "Inaccessible Boot Device" work-around success

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Alex Ethridge, Jun 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I've been working on this problem off and on for a couple of years or more. All of my recent searches for a solution have ended with just a half-hearted effort.

I have two scenarios in which I get IBD errors: One is where the main board in a 2000 or XP system fails and I have to replace the board with an IDE controller that is not similar enough to the original one. For this scenario, I still have no solution. It's still a situation where my only hope is to find a replacement board that has an IDE controller very much like the old one--or just reload the OS and all programs from scratch.

The next scenario is where we have a planned upgrade or board swap in a system that is still functional--at least functional enough to get to the GUI. Here are the steps I used that worked.

Before I removed the board from the old system, I went to Device Manager> System> IDE... I changed the controller to Standard Dual-Channel PCI IDE Controller. I then shut down, changed the board and booted. I got to the desktop and loaded the drivers for the new board, etc. and booted again. All seems to work well so far.

Now, this was only one situation and I don't know it will work in all situations; but, it is a breakthrough for me as this has been not only annoying but a time-consuming bear for a long time.

Now, if I can only find a way to do this on a system where the main board has failed before I have had a chance to change the controller driver to the generic flavor.

I have a theory that if I could somehow edit the registry on a non-active partition, I might be able to find out which registry keys to change on that system so it will load the generic IDE drivers.

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I did confirm the old hard disk did give an IBD error when attached to the new board before I to the above-described steps.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/236239

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice