1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Main Monitor Froze, PC displays black screen after BIOS, sam

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sharkkangaroo, Jul 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sharkkangaroo

Sharkkangaroo Thread Starter

Hi there,

I currently use the MSI B350 motherboard in my computer and had an issue with my PC. I was playing a game when it froze so I assumed that it had crashed. I tried to alt tab and got the icon menu to switch windows but then that froze too. I was able to use the windows on my second monitor but everything on the main one was frozen. I restarted my PC but after it booted past the BIOS loading screen it would only display a black screen. The GPU LED on the motherboard was lit up so I assumed that my graphics card had died. At the time I was using a R9 290X. I took it out of my PC and made sure it was properly connected but the same error occurred. I assumed that the card had died.

I then purchased a brand new MSI GTX 1080, but when I put that in my PC the exact same issue occurred. So I tried a few things after that:

I put my old card back in and tried clearing the CMOS but the same issue occurred.

I then put in the card with the same result.

I updated the BIOS to the newest version but came across the same black screen. (Although now the GPU LED is off)

I have no idea how to fix this or how to proceed from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just so I understand, your system is completing POST ie you can enter the bios, make changes in the bios, etc. Is that correct?
    You need to post your exact system specs ie exact cpu, exact ram, exact pw supply, etc, etc. Do not post "500W pw supply" Post the exact brand and model# Do that for ALL of your parts.

3. Sharkkangaroo

Yup the system can get to the BIOS just fine. But as soon as it gets to the point where Windows should take over, I just get a black screen.

also woops I forgot to post my build. https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/NjvXtJ

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Most people do not like to click on an unknown link. Post your specs here.

5. Sharkkangaroo

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Since the system is completing POST, the problem is very possibly a hard drive problem and or corrupted operating system files. Do you have anything important on the drive ie docs, pics, videos, etc? If you do, pull the drive out and connect it to a working system. Copy whatever you need. You should probably test the drive with the drive mfg's utility.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212595

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice