1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mainboard isue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by disgrountled, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. disgrountled

disgrountled Thread Starter

Hello.

Recently I recieved by mail my brother's laptop to fix,since I`m the "smart" guy inthe family everyone is pushing me with IT or Electronic choirs...anyway, it`s not why I`m here. The laptop has a broken screen, I tried to attach the laptop to another monitor via VGA but didn`t wor, no image at all. So I`m wondering if the mainboard is bustedm since I don`t know if I should order a new display for it or just toss it in the garbage can. The colored leds are on when I start it, no booting sound, but the HDD is working, so is the dvd-rw, I mean it takes commands, all the buttons work, I mean restart and power.is there a chance that the mainboard is bustend and I still have power on cpu/optical device/storage?

Thanks for the answer :)

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    make and model of laptop

when you attached the VGA Monitor - did you use one of the F keys to toggle between Laptop and External Monitor.

The F key changes on different models - usually F4 / F5 area - see if you can see an image of a screen on the key

3. disgrountled

Acer Aspire 5680

I didn`t try the keyboard switch. Um ...I`ll do it and come whit an answer . Thanks for now (at work)
    So it`s possible to have power and still be busted huh?

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yes , lots of thing can be busted - and still have power lights on .....
    But the only way the VGA connector will output any signal is by using one of the F keys on a laptop

5. disgrountled

ok.I tried using the Fn screen, didn`t work ...so basically is good for garbage ...

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you need to use the Fn key + one of the F keys
    correct

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/901212

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice