Mainboard Jumper Settings

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

FZWG

Someone said this hobby is not for the faint hearted!! Appreciate some assistance with the following questions:

Trying to determine if a P200MHz (nonMMX) CPU can be installed on a PT-5IV mainboard. The P200 is a CPU type Intel 80502-200 where (I think) the Vcore=3.3V and the speed=66MHz x 3.

Q#1: Is there some sort of rhyme and reason as to where the jumpers are located to determine if they are set correctly?

For example:
JP4, JP5: 2pins each, both open, located on the board by the north west corner of the Socket 7.
Q#2: Any assumption as to what these are for?

JP6,JP7: 3pins each, 2-3 closed on each one, located directly south of Socket 7, it appears that 1-2=2.xV and 2-3=3.xV.

JP8,JP9,JP10: 2 pins each, only JP10 closed, located by the keyboard/speakers, etc., it appears that these jumpers designate 3.3V option.
JP12,JP13: 2pins each, only JP12 closed, in a series right below JP8,9,10, it appears that these jumpers designate 3.5V option.

JP 11: 3pins, 2-3 closed, located west of Q1, it appears that 1-2=2.5V, and 2-3=2.9V.

JP15: 2 pins, open, located by southwest corner of Q1.

JP16: 3pins, 2-3 closed, located by BIOS AWARD, it appears that 1-2=5V, and 2-3=12V.

Found 16 jumpers, the ones not listed above are welded (thank goodness!!)

Q#3: If a P200 CPU is installed, and the jumpers do not provide enough juice, or provide too much juice, would the worst case scenario be that the pc will not boot, or is it worse?

Q#4: Over the Intel Chip SB82371SB there is a white label with the following info: "Maxi/10" written over it. Does this mean anything?

Q#5: Is there a "safe" way to test this board without frying it?

Appreciate ANY thoughts. Thank you in advance for your help.
:) :) :)

ich

What brand is the motherboard? Have you checked the manufacturer's website? Most motherboard manufacturers make it possible to find this information on their sites so long as you know the model #.

FZWG

ich,

Thank you for your reply.

Make of the mainboard is AZZA, and, they are not exactly user friendly. They do not seem to answer e-mail regarding old mainboards.

Figuring these jumpers out is going to be trial and error, and, the expertise of those who are knowledgeable.

Have a good day.

:)

I went looking through a whole bunch of news groups for anything or anyone with a question on this type of motherboard. I was not able to find much of anything other then complaints about service.

Here is how I see it.

Q1 No rhyme or reason. They put those jumpers all over the place. Guessing is just that. A crap shoot.

Q2 :D

Q3 Worst case is you burn up a cheap CPU. Over volting can fry a cpu

Q4 No idea. Sorry

Q5 The problem is that with out the correct jumper info you are just guessing. With 16 jumpers to guess at trying to find the right ones is next to impossable.

I saw on there web site they list a Bios revision. You may need to flash the bios to even get it to support the new chip.

Sorry I was not much help.

FZWG

ich and ChrisA,

Thank you for your reply.
Would you believe, found a manual for this goodie!!

Was talking about it with a friend, and he thought it rang a bell. He had a manual stored away in a drawer. Made a copy of it. Happy camper!! :)

Have a great day.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online