1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mainboard temperature too high?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Buffy, Mar 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Buffy

Buffy Thread Starter

Hi,

I just downloaded and used a program called SANDRA and under Mainboard Information it said the "Mainboard temperature is too high". The board temperature is 57 C/ 134.6 F and it says anything over 50 C is too high. What should I do? I'm a computer idiot, so any recommendations would be appreciated. I'm not sure what this means. :confused:

2. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

I like Ssandra as a prog, but I have heard not all reccomendations are valid.

Please wait for more comments.

John

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, if it's accurately reading the temperature , it's certainly too high! I get pretty excited when the MB temperature hits anything above the low 40's. :rolleyes: I don't even want to see my processor temperature in that range...

I'd open it up and see if all the fans are running, blow out the dust bunnies, and perhaps even take a temperature reading with another thermometer a couple places near the MB, around the processor, and see what readings you get. I suspect the temperature sensor may not be reading correctly...

4. ourhouse

ourhouse

keep the case open for an hour and then check sandra again to see if your temps drop. if it does, ide advise to leave your case open or get an additional case fan.

5. griffinspc

griffinspc

6. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

On an average system, you should be getting an idle temp in the range of 45-55 C. If your cpu temp gets over 65C, then start worrying.

The temp depends on many factors..
    1. The heatsink attached to the CPU
    2. The fan attached to the heatsink
    3. The type of thermal grease used between heatsink and CPU
    4. The number of case fans
    5. Whether the CPU is idling or being actively used
    6. The average temperature of the room the PC is in

7. Buffy

Buffy Thread Starter

Well I downloaded that Motherboard Monitor program and it showed the temp the same as SANDRA did. I opened up the case (first time I've ever done that) and have left it off for 45 minutes so far and the temp has only gone down 4 degrees. I looked inside with a flash light and all I could see and feel was one fan and it's definitely working but it's dusty, how many fans should a computer have? How would I install another fan if I need it?

My computer is an HP Pavilion 531w.

8. griffinspc

griffinspc

I'm curious what the temp reading is for your processor.

In answer to your question, "how many fans should a computer have?. It depends on the computer. Most get along just fine with the power supply fan and a processor fan. Some have only the power supply fan and just a heat sink on the processor.

When you say
    is this the power supply fan your referring to at the back of the case or a small fan on top of the processor inside?

Either way, dust is a computer killer. If any fan is surrounded by and coated with dust it's a very good idea to remove it all. This includes the motherboard and the entire insides of your machine. You can do this with a can of compressed air or with a vaccuum and a small brush. Be careful in both cases. With compressed air make sure to hold the can upright so you don't spray liquid all over and with a vaccuum don't get to carried away with the suction.

I'm not trying to scare you off, puter parts aren't that delicate. Just use common sense and you'll be fine.

Do you know what type of processor you have? Athlons run at a much higher temp than Intel's and usually have a fan attached.

9. Buffy

Buffy Thread Starter

It's the power supply fan.

I got rid of all the dust covering the fan and the temp dropped one degree.

It's an Intel Celeron 1300MHz.

10. ourhouse

ourhouse

you posted above that opening your case dropped your temps 4 degrees. 4 degrees celsuis is a good amount of drop for just opening your case. This is evidence that your case is a little warm inside. just getting one intake fan in the front will probably drop the temps even more and another exhaust fan will do justice. Fans are cheap nowadays. worth the investment ide say. Newer cases comes with 3 - 4 fans now. older cases has none except for the power supply fan.

11. griffinspc

griffinspc

12. joevandam

joevandam

do you have any case fans installed in that tower.

13. joevandam

joevandam

the reason why you are running so hot is that hp does not come with additional fans installed in that tower. if you look closer inside that tower you should have one place in the the front of your tower, and one at the rear of the tower. and its usely a 80 m fans,on your motherboard you would probably have one or two, 3 prong male for one type of plug in, the other you can hook up from your power suppy, and thats a 4 prong.what i am saying is the tower has to have a flow of cool air going throw it.

14. joevandam

joevandam

did that help you with the extra fans

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I would check the temp in the BIOS to confirm that reading if possible; press F1 or F2 to enter the BIOS when the computer boots up. It may actually be the CPU temp you are seeing mis-identified. What is currently listed as the CPU temp in either SiSandra or Mainboard Monitor?

HP's have bad cooling; thats a given, and in my experience the sensors get misread by software monitors.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/124119

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice