1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Major crash

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by factor, Jan 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. factor

factor Thread Starter

Hi. hope this is the right forum. I havent got a clue whats happened but my computer locked up yesterday and the hard drive was making wierd noises. I had to shutdown with the power button. When i switched back on windows wouldnt load and i got a message saying 'operating system not found' amongst others. it kept trying to boot but didnt get any further than the 'hp" screen .i couldnt get into anything except recovery so i had to do that. eventually, after 3 attempts at recovery, the 4th worked without crashing. now, most of my programs that came with windows do not work, even though theyre installed and im getting script error messages from n.anti virus. has anyone got any idea what is gion on here? PLEASE?Thanks..

hp 7965 pavillion
    windows xp
    creative audigy p. ex sound card
    n.anti virus 2002

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

My best guess is the hard drive is failing....especially since you said it was making noises....hard drives and bad noises don't go well together.

3. factor

factor Thread Starter

ok thanks. i was dreading that. its only 12 months old. there are files missing and xp isnt running properly so im gonna do a recovery one more time.

4. factor

factor Thread Starter

well that didnt work. im doing the recovery from a hard drive partition, i wonder if some of this is corrupt. is there any way of checking it? CHKdisc is ok and computer management reports that both partitions are healthy. does this mean the partition is healthy as well as the data on it?

5. ~Candy~

Not sure on that Q, but this post will get you back to the top.

6. factor

factor Thread Starter

Get me back to the top?

7. ratchet

ratchet

factor,

Candy means, getting post back in the running, Active or new posts.

I would go to your harddrive manufactuers website to look for tools for your model#. Running a diagnotis test might give some insite to whats happening.

8. factor

factor Thread Starter

Thanx Ratchet, how do i do that? ive ran a couple of windows checks on the drive but i dont know if its the drive or the data thats corrupt.

9. factor

factor Thread Starter

It seems as though the recovery system is not recovering all of the files. How many files are there in the whole of xp? im recovering 30,000 or so, doesnt seem a lot for a whole operating system. Maybe im wrong. Somebody suggested changing my power pack, could this be the problem?

10. ~Candy~

What brand is your hard drive? Most have diagnostics available for download on their website.

11. factor

factor Thread Starter

it is a 'maxtor 4d060h3'.

12. factor

factor Thread Starter

ive tried several times to download the diagnostics program from maxtors site but i cant connect for some reason. the instructions for the test include this warning:

! WARNING !: All data will be lost when the "Write Disk Pack (low level format)" test is performed. Maxtor recommends that users backup any/all critical data and removing other hard drives before performing this test.

will this test wipe the whole drive, including partitions cos i have xp in a recovery position, i mean partition.

13. ~Candy~

You don't want to run the low level format......you want to run the drive diagnostics....I think the low level format is the VERY LAST option..........

14. factor

factor Thread Starter

ok thanks for the tip AcaCandy. i still havent managed to download it yet.
    im pricing up a recovery cd from h.packard. i cant believe they dont supply it with the pc. hopefully, i wont need to buy one.

15. Jeerajat

Jeerajat

Ok the bset think is to run a hard drive disk check on the pc
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315265

try that if u can get up 2 the desktop, otherwise i suggest u run chkdsk from command prompt

what is the model of ur HP PC goto the HP site should be able to help.
    They normally have a hidden partition with all the recovery files on

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115376

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice