1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Major crash

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by factor, Jan 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. factor

factor Thread Starter

2. factor

factor Thread Starter

Can anybody help PLEASE??

3. JJJecj71

JJJecj71

Sounds to me that you might need a new power supply pack.
    other then you just had gotten a virus but if the power supply is not running right it will cause this also.

Replace the power supply pack.

4. factor

factor Thread Starter

Thanks Penn. im wondering if the recovery system is not recovering everything that it should.

5. JJJecj71

JJJecj71

Could be factor, I've seen this twice with the power pack not giving the right voltage and the mother board causes alot of problems along with programs/ hard drives/cd roms working but really not right just alot of stuff can go wrong because the Hard drive holding all this info is not able to work right or half work at all, I can say this because I've seen it twice and replacing the powerpack fixed the problems.

Let me know Factor with this.
    Jay

6. factor

factor Thread Starter

Thanks Jay. is there any way of testing my existing powerpack before i try replacing it?

7. JJJecj71

JJJecj71

In your BIO's you should beable to. If not go on google.com and do a search for troubleshooting programs. I Had one and can't find it on my computer and don't remember the name, probably why.

If I do come across it I will post it.
    Sorry I havn't been on for a while.

8. factor

factor Thread Starter

Thanx Jay, ill take a look in the bios. I havent been able to download any diagnostic programs, i cant download anything. Something missing from my explorer i think. most of my programs arent working properly so thats no suprise..

9. JJJecj71

JJJecj71

http://www.tweaknow.com/PowerPack.html

Can you do a system restore point to a very earlier date with your system?

10. JJJecj71

JJJecj71

anyone can try that program for free for 15 days but it will not show everything until it's fully bought.

But you can use that to tweak up your windows and do things which you might not know how.

I'm still looking for a program the will show your voltage input, a free program so you can know if your power supply is given out what your system needs, also you might what to check the outlet to which you have your computer pluged in to see also if it's putting out the right voltage, all this and it also might just be your outlet and frankly it might even be something else but I'm going with this because of how you decribed your problems.

Forever trying
    Jay

11. JJJecj71

JJJecj71

12. factor

factor Thread Starter

Jay. Thanx again fot the tips and links, i have a couple of problems though. Firstly, i cant do a system restore cos when my pc first crashed i lost windows completely and i had to run recovery so theres no restore points. Secondly, i cant download anything. As for the power outlet, I use a surge protector and ive had no trouble with it. do you think this could cause problems?

13. JJJecj71

JJJecj71

Ok I would need you to post the error messages you get.

Could be or the outlet but lets find out by doing some other things.
    • How do you connection to the internet and browse?
      Do you have a firewall?
    • Did you try putting in the Windows cd and then rebooting and letting it put the things back in that it needs?
    • Did you try right clicking on My computer and going to properties on the bottom and then to the hardware tab and then to device Manger to see if there is any conficks going on in there?
    • Did you ever goto to run and type in Msconfig and maybe unchecked alot of things that you shouldn't have if so maybe going back there and rechecking everything just to see if something is not loading up with he computer that needs to load up with it.(don't think is the case with Xp though) Just some ideas here.

Also goto your Control Panel and to Administrative Tools and open it and then goto your Event Viewer/Application and then System and see what type of Errors you are getting and what from.

Let me know on all this and I will go from there, hang in there.

14. factor

factor Thread Starter

Here goes Jay.
    I have a broadband connection(cable). I am having to click on windows update and from then on use that as my browser. if i try opening i.explorer or msn etc, nothing happens. just a couple of the progs that dont work.
    I dont have a firewall, xp has one but i dont use it.
    I dont have a windows cd-thanx to hp-recovery is on a harddrive partition. if this is corrupt ill have to spend about 30 quid for a cd version. Ridiculous...
    Device manager is ok, no conflicts. Ive uninstalled sound card+reset bios etc. to factory presets.
    Ive been to msconfig+ive ticked everything on the list.
    I have 2 errors in event viewer/system. there are several of each but at different times. I also have warnings for both.
    1 Service control error
    2 Dhcp error
    Thanx again Jay..

15. Politicaldog

Politicaldog

If your HP is still under warranty then you can get the CD-Roms for free. I anticipated that if my Hard Drive takes a permanent vacation and I have to buy a new one then I would have to purchase an operating system again. Since I already bought Windows Xp from HP on my partitioned hard drive I called HP's tech support and explained this to them. They sent me a full set of disks. Fed Ex and no cost to me. I would advise everyone to do this if they still have the warranty.

Thanks
    Politicaldog:)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!