1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Major DNS issue - Mac Forums no help

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by WarmCurb, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WarmCurb

WarmCurb Thread Starter

The various Mac Forums I've tried have attempted to help (can post their solutions if needed), but none worked. My issue has to deal with DNS settings, I think.

The problem:

- Security Certificates: Pop up daily for Facebook mostly, but also Twitter. I will click Continue, which takes me to...
    - 404 Error/Page Not Found Error: After the Certificate error mentioned above, this happens. Mostly to YouTube. It will stay like this for a few hours. I've cleared cache, rebooted, etc. etc. Nothing works.
    - Images turn into little blue boxes with a question mark in them. **When this happens, it's an indication that a Certificate box will pop up out of the blue.
    - Google.com (right now): Invalid URL

The requested URL "/", is invalid.
    Reference #9.df260e6b.1336506889.420cf4f

So what can I do? It happens on both my Macbook Pro and iMac - both connected wirelessly to a Linksys router/cable modem.

2. Headrush

Headrush

Maybe use /Application/Utilities/Keychain Access and remove any certificates for those web sites which are a problem.

You might want to use /Applications/Utilities/Terminal to do the following:
    Code:
    scutil --dns
    Make sure your DNS server is right.

Code:
    dscacheutil -flushcache
    To clear out old and possibly modified DNS entries.

3. WarmCurb

WarmCurb Thread Starter

Thanks. Will this help even if it happens in all browsers - Safari, Chrome and Firefox?

4. WarmCurb

WarmCurb Thread Starter

In terminal, do I just type in "scutil --dns" and hit Enter?

5. Headrush

Headrush

Yes.

Yes.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1052461