1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MAJOR HELP NEEDED - System at 100%CPU

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by marcirb, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marcirb

marcirb Thread Starter

If anyone can give me some help or other ideas to solve this - it would be much appreciated. My CPU is constantly running at 100%. It occassionally dips down if I am not running any programs at all. I have two hard drives in my computer at this time. One is a hardrive I have been using for the past 2 years and has all my old data that I desparately need on. The other Is a brand new hard drive with a clean version of win xp installed. I thought I had a virus to start with but I have run numerous virus checks with numerous programs in and out of safe mode and apart from two minor trojans that was deleted immediately - nothing comes up. It really appears that something is running in the background and using up all my resources but I cant find it.

Any help any one can give would be really appreciated.

Thank You! .

Marci

PS. I used the Hijacker tool and this is the log.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
    Scan saved at 1:44:02 PM, on 4/12/2004
    Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\RUNDLL32.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\AdvTools\NPROTECT.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\tcpsvcs.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Sophos SWEEP for NT\SWNETSUP.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Sophos SWEEP for NT\SWEEPSRV.SYS
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\taskmgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Marci\Local Settings\Temp\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.msn.ca/
    F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\System32\Userinit.exe
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
    O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NVMCTRAY.DLL,NvTaskbarInit
    O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
    O16 - DPF: {15589FA1-C456-11CE-BF01-00AA0055595A} - http://www.spywarenuker.com/product/camp/SpywareNuker_com/SWNInstaller.exe
    O16 - DPF: {2119776A-F1AD-4FCD-9548-F1E1C615350C} - http://www.stop-sign.com/pub/download/stop-sign_stp.cab
    O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/7d90ae05585062/housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/xscan53.cab
    O16 - DPF: {9771C160-AD19-11D5-91BE-0048546CB511} - http://www.escorcher.com/webone/supporter5.exe
    O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
    O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/unicode/iuctl.CAB?38084.656724537
    O16 - DPF: {E6A3C1E2-F792-483E-9133-596215172BE9} (AcceptLang Class) - http://runonce.msn.com/setacceptlang.cab

2. Emtronics

Emtronics

RIGHT click the Task Bar and open the Task Manager. Under Processes, look and see what is using your cycles. Post the name of the "service" here..

3. rude

rude

Also,just a thought,but have you thought about disabling startup items that you don't need to start on bootup.Having too much stuff in there can slow your system down dramatically.The only things I allow to start on bootup on my machine are my anti virus and firewall.

Also go here:http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
    and check out the service configurations,there are a lot of services that you can disable to help your system run better and faster

4. Emtronics

Emtronics

Rude is right, Adobe for one, doesn't need to be running anywhere in the backround. I'm no fan of Norton as IMO it uses way too much resources and gets way to nosey. But, millions use it so it's just my opinion. It just might be Norton taking your CPU to 100%.

5. marcirb

marcirb Thread Starter

Ha - now my computer is making me out to be a liar - my cpu is down to 7%
    Running 29 Processes and the ones that appear to be using most CPU is system Idle Process - SYSTEM at 98 and iexplorer.exe and svchose.exe both at between 2 & 4 - sometimes peaking to 48-54 - something is defiantely not right though. Highest memory usage at this time is iexplorer.exe at 23,708 and then explorer at 13,960 - I thought that looked pretty normal - maybe not the System Idle Process. This problem has been ongoing for me - It started a few months ago when I had problems multi-tasking - I could not open more than one program at once. or play music through winamp while working. It has got incredible worst in the last few days.

Do you want a list of all the processes that are running?

Marci

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I agree with rude and Emtronics. Though your log seems clear. Could you provide us with the process/es that is running to make your CPU run at 100%

7. ozzy11

ozzy11

Hey guys,aren`t the running proccesses in the beginning of the hijack log?

8. marcirb

marcirb Thread Starter

OK - I did some cleanup - but there was not much on that drive anyway as it was a brand new drive. Since I ran checks, did some updates etc, now my cpu appears normal but does hit the 100% on any program load-up - Is that normal?

9. marcirb

marcirb Thread Starter

Well its not working - I am now running easycleaner 2.0 and my cpu is back up to 100%
    I thought for sure a 512mb compaq presario 1.7ghz could handle more than one task at a time?
    Am I wrong in thinking this?

10. Emtronics

Emtronics

A lot of what you have in your log is normal stuff. Some of it does not need to be running. And YES, the first part of the log is running services but if one of those is sucking at 100%, then that log won't tell ya. I still think it's your Norton. Yes, it is normal for CPU usage to rise on opening a program. That's what it does, work! :D Your system idle is supposed to be using resources when it's idle....I know, makes no sense, but it does. Compaq?? Maybe some of that software Compaq installs is calling home? BackWeb for one.

11. rude

rude

12. ozzy11

ozzy11

When u start a program your cpu usage will jump way up there for a sec.I believe that is quite normal.IF that is what your talking about.Also you mentioned the "system idol process"being at 98%, if your doing nothing that WILL be at 99% I believe.As that just means the cpu is @ 99% idol.I`m just checkin all possabilities.Hope this helps.If not someone else on here can I`m sure.
    OZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

13. ozzy11

ozzy11

Wow! I read someones mind.Almost to the tee. hahaha sorry emtronics.Also didn`t think when i mentioned the hijack log.Thats why I love this place.

14. marcirb

marcirb Thread Starter

The cpu stays up at 100% while the particular file is running - not just on opening. I have Norton AV deleted (including Live Update etc) totally from my system - I uninstalled it due to the fact many people have said the same thing about it using up system resources and I have had many problems with it. I have now installed Sophos Anti Virus. It did detect a trojan which I am totally amazed at as over the last couple of days, I have run so many virus scans in and out of safe mode with the following: Norton, Panda, Trend Mirco, McAfee and a couple of other freebies and they came up with nothing. The trojan detected was Troj/Inor-D and I am now again running a full system scan to see if it helps.
    After I will repost Hijacker Log as I have also taken Adobe out of start-up and ran a registry clean up in Easyclean. So maybe you guys wouldnt mind taking a look see when I have done all the above.

Thanks soo much for your help so far

Marci

15. marcirb

marcirb Thread Starter

Oh I forgot to mention running the AV program keeps my CPU at 100%
    Also cant get a search window to open anymore in explorer? Aaah the trials and tribulations of a computer. Think I might just pull out that trusty typewriter again :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219721

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice