1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Major help needed

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mranderson82, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mranderson82

mranderson82 Thread Starter

Ok here is the situation. I have an Hp Pavilion Laptop with Windows XP home edition. I have been using a LAN, or dsl, connection to connect to the internet. About a week ago ONLY on my laptop, not my desktop, I started having problems with my connection. It would just go out for periods of time, no reason just gone. Then it stopped and again on monday it went out. It has been out since monday. I thought I had a major virus, so I used my system recovery disc, they didnt help. Wel I look at my network connections it shows that my computer is sending packets like crazy, but it has 0 for recieved packets. I have no idea what is going on. My LED lights are showing that there is a connection, and every now and then the light for traffic flow will blink. If anyone has any idea please email me, pm me, or respond to this.

Thanks

A desperate college student

aka Michael

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

do you have another NIC card you test with. Your NIC card could be bad.

3. mranderson82

I just bought a new NIC card. Did the same thing. I spend an hour on the phone with tech support. NO HELP AT ALL!!! There are 3 other computers working off the same connection. This is the only one that is not working.

4. Squashman

When you reinstalled did you reformat the drive or did you just install over the top of the existing system. It is possible that you could have some type of trojan or spyware on your computer that is sending out all kinds of crap.

Download and install Hijack this. Read the quick start on there web page. Run a scan but dont fix anything. Post the log in here and someone will look at it to see if there is something wrong with it.

5. mranderson82

i have no way of downloading that onto my computer, i can not get onto the internet. i am using another old crappy computer right now. but i can do this, ill post what it says when i type in ipconfig on the command prompt

ethernet adapter local area connection 2:
    connection-specific DNS suffix . :
    autoconfiguration ip address . : 169.254.208.49
    subnet mask . : 255.255.0.0
    default gateway . :

that is all it says.....last night i did ping local host and it said i sent 4 packets and received 4 packets. but my computer is not receiving packets based on what my status says for my connection up network connections........

thanks for any help

6. dai

dai

it looks like your default gateway setting have disappeared have a look in your tc/ip settings

7. Squashman

he isn't getting a default gateway because he is not even getting a proper IP address from DHCP. Either the cable is bad or the NIC is bad.

8. mranderson82

i have tried 2 different nic cards, one i bought last night and 2 different cables, and neither worked

9. Squashman

Are you connecting into a router or switch. Have you tried different ports on them.

10. mranderson82

Yes, I have tried every port. There are 3 other computers running off of the same router/swith and they work fine. I tried using eac of those ports and it did not make a difference. I really do not know what else to try. Tech support last night did not good, an hour on the phone and all they tried to get me to do was things that I have already tried.

Michael

11. Squashman

What make and model router do you have.

12. mranderson82

I am not sure what it is called. But, I just went and tested my computer at a computer repair shop that has a "real" router and it worked just fine. The guy said that somehow their is somthing called a DHCP that is messing it up. I am not pining the ISP right or something like that. any ideas?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170874

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice