1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Major Huge Computer Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by GGPete, Jan 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GGPete

GGPete Thread Starter

Whenever I try to do pretty much anything I get a "javascript:void(0)" error... let me explain:

If I try to read my hotmail, for example, if I try to read, delete, send, mail or whatever on MSN, it just doesn't load and says javascript:void(0).

If I try to go to Windows Update, same thing happened.

If I try to run help and support, or try to run a Restore point, the thing goes blank, doing nothing.

If I try to watch music videos from let's say, MTV, VH1, AOL, etc. nothing works.

If I try to open Windows Media Player, it gives some internal server error and closes.

I've tried a lot of programs:
    Panda Software
    Norton Windows Doctor
    Pest Patrol
    Spy Sweeper
    Zone Alarm Security Suite (Virus Scan)
    Microsoft Anti-Spyware
    okay, maybe not too many, but I must say, it is quite good considering no scans online are working for me, because I Explorer will refuse to even start online scans (Like Bit Defender).

Now, why not install Norton?

Well, I try to install it (believe me, I've tried at least 100 times now) and it gets "installed" and it does this little part where it says "installing" and when that's finished, the download just stops. No message, no warning, nada, zip.

Now, this wouldn't be a problem on Morzilla right??? WRONG!! The only thing that is different when using Morzilla Fire Fox is I can access MSN. The scan's don't help on Morzilla either, considering they "aren't compatable with Morzilla, use Internet Explorer 4.0 or higher (I have 5.0).

This is a problem that just started happening yesterday, out of the blue. I have had my computer for three years now and nothing like this has ever happened before.

I know this is probably absoloutely terrible information to start out with in solving the problem, but trust me, it's honestly the best way to describe it.

I've redownloaded Java like 5 times now, as well as Windows Media Player, even Active X...

umm, help please?????

P.S. If I try to click on a link that is any kind of media link (mp3, video, many download links, etc) it comes up with: javascript:void(0) Any help would be soooooooooooo appreciated.... thanks in advance for a swift reply :) :)

2. iOXeR

iOXeR

For many, many internet problems, I recommend using Spybot-Search and Destroy. It does a lot. Search on google for it. It should be something like safernetworking.org or something.

3. Paladin-X

Paladin-X

4. GGPete

GGPete Thread Starter

Wow, you guys are quick to respond :) (y) I'm running Windows XP, and I made a mistake earlier, I'm running Internet Explorer 6.0 NOT 5.0.

5. Paladin-X

Paladin-X

Have you tried using system restore?

6. GGPete

GGPete Thread Starter

System Restore isn't working because it just comes up in a grey box and nothing works... actually, I put that in my first post, but I guess I didn't write it too well now that I look back. I can't even make it work from MSCONFIG, which, I am afraid noone will be able to help me since I'm sort of stuck in this position... I tried that link you put in your first reply, and I saw it was for Winodws NT or Windows 2000... that does seem to be a problem since I run XP. But, basically, that's my problem right there, unfortunantly. Perhapes an error in XP Microsoft doesn't know about? Sorry - I realise I'm stating the obvious, but at this point, there's not much info. I can give unless someone asks a specific question.

"If I try to run help and support, or try to run a Restore point, the thing goes blank, doing nothing." - from first post.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322778

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice