1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Major Issues (Many PRoblems with hardware)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by longhorns242, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. longhorns242

longhorns242 Thread Starter

OK, I have a Gateway 700GR that is pretty much retail except for 2 cards a pci-e Radeon x700 and a Sound Blaster Live card....I got this computer from my dad which at the time was working fine.I put it in my room and put my sound blaster live card in it and the computer wouldnt turn on...Pushed power button and nothing happened nothing. So i took out the card (Sound card) and waited overnight. Pushed the power button the next morning working like a champ. After a day i tried to put the card back in and when i tried to power it up it didnt work. So i figured that pci slot may have gone out so i mived it down one slot and it worked fine. After about 3-5 days i got a new desk for my room so i unpluged my computer and put the new desk up and when i hooked the computer back up it didnt work. I took out the sound card and waited over night...Still didnt work. Took out my pci-e Radeon X700 card and waited another night and it worked fine. So at this point i reset the bios to defaults and it worked fine. The next day i woke up and tried to turn it on again and it didnt work. AT this point i was very angry. I ordered a new motherboard from www.skyline-eng.com (this is where gateway gets there motherboards from) and when it came and i installed it it still dosent work. Does anyone have any suggestions for this problem????

Ive also heard some stuff about some kind of paste between the processor and the heatsink (i have a socket T(775) Processor when i take it out (the processor) it looks like some is missing between the heatsink and processor.

P.S.-I have a 300 watt power supply. and these are the specs on my computer...... http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Inte.../102129nv.shtml
    http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/3726/3726sp27.shtml

2. longhorns242

please help!!!!!!!

3. lehatche

lehatche

Longhorns242 I bet if you replaced the PSU (Power Supply) with a good 400 to 500 watt unit the problem might disapear. But i might be wrong. If you could borrow one to test it. That way if i am wrong it will not cost you anything but time and effort.

4. longhorns242

yeah i have a 350 watt ps but it is a 20 pin and i need a 24 pin do u think if i go to best buy to the geek squad and ask them to put one in a 400 or 500 they will do it for free

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Why would they do it for free?

6. longhorns242

Ok i put in a 430 wat power supply and my computer seems to boot but nothing comes up on th screen and then after about 5-7 seconds it turns off?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Is the heatsink attached correctly? There needs to soem paste or a pad between the processor and heatsink or the temps can rise very quickly. Is the processor seated correctly.

You can also try disconnecting all the hard drives, PCI cards, optical drives, and externally connected devices to see if they are the problem. All you need connected are all the power supply conenctions to the motherboard, one stick of memory, the CPU with heatsink, and a video card.

8. longhorns242

ok i put new paste between the cpu and heatsink..i still have the same problem. im not sure if i did it right...i used a very little amount...just enough to cover the surface on the heatsink and just enough to cover the cpu top..is there something else i should know:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    ...that its probably not ovberheating.

10. longhorns242

ok do u have any idea what it could be...also sometimes when i power it on it gets further into the boot meaning it will stay on for like 30 seconds and then sometimes it will beep and stay on for like 3 to 7 seconds

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Did you try my suggestion of stripping the computer down to basics?

Maybe even set up the motherboard outside the case to make sure its not shorting.

12. longhorns242

ok i got it working. i rigged a heatsink...got rid of the darn gateway and built a custom one sick of propitary cases

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486638

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice