1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Major Issues

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Watcheronthewall, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Watcheronthewall

Watcheronthewall Thread Starter

Having a major issue here...

I was playing Mass Effect 2 when the colors changed, the game stuttered, and then my PC crashed. I caught a glimpse of a pop up bubble before it shut off though, that said something about 'display' and 'disabled' (sorry, I didn't catch more than that [​IMG] )

It looks like my graphics card died or something... at first it would only boot up in to safe mode, so I uninstalled the display drivers, and I can get into my PC. If I reinstall the driver though, it freezes, and then reboots when I start up the PC. The BIOS screen is messed up too; words are jumbled, and there are random symbols all over the place. Some black screens before startup are covered in blue or red dots. I really have no idea what is wrong and I could really use some help.

My Specs:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT
    4GB RAM
    Intel Core2 Duo E6850 3.00GHz

If you need any other information, please let me know. I really appreciate any help.

Not sure if this helps, but this is the screen I get before the 'Starting Windows' screen: http://imgur.com/KMbCG.jpg

2. joeten

joeten

Hi do you have another card or can you borrow one to test with,you can also try reseating your graphics card and ram,then try installing the driver

3. Watcheronthewall

I don't have one unfortunately, looking around for one to borrow or buy cheap now though. I've tried reseating the card and RAM, but no luck. When the driver is installed, it won't boot past the 'Starting Windows' screen. It just freezes and reboots after a few minutes.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Safe Mode is still OK? If so, that could mean you have the wrong display driver. Do you have the latest available for Windows 7 64-bit (or Vista 64-bit if no 7 driver exists)?

This is my preferred order for finding drivers:

1. PC manufacturer's web site,
    2. Motherboard manufacturer's web site,
    3. Device manufacturer's web site,
    4. A "drivers" site, such as DriverGuide,
    5. Anywhere you can find one that might work,
    6. Let Device Manager try to find one.
    7. Use Windows Update.

5. Watcheronthewall

Well what happens is I uninstall the driver through Safe Mode, then once I login regularly, it automatically installs a driver via windows update, but then once I reboot it either restarts or blue screens during the starting windows screen.

6. antech

antech Banned

Dont let Windows to install the driver automatically.
    Try downloading the latest drivers.
    I dont personally use NVIDIA Drivers, but I think the latest ones are around 196.25

7. joeten

joeten

Hi try removing the driver from add remove, programs and features, and if neccessary device manager then install the new one via device manager, ie update drivers then not at this time, then install from a specific place and point window to the driver

8. antech

antech Banned

Use RevoUninstaller from the link in my sign and/or use DriverCleaner.
    I dont know whether the second one is free or not.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!