Tech Support Guy banner

Major League Baseball (MLB)

118K views 1K replies 12 participants last post by  PeterOz 
#1 ·
Now that the Red Sox Pitchers and Catchers have reported to Spring Training camp in Florida this past Sunday, position players are scheduled to report no later than tomorrow, however, most have already reported, except notably for David Ortiz with a brand new contract.

It appears that Bobby Valentine (new Red Sox on-field Manager) is running a tight ship and the players are gung-ho for it.

Meanwhile in the off-season, the MLB rules have been modified for this coming season as follows:
MLB tweaks rule to prevent stalling for relievers.

-- Tom

#3 ·
The link doesn't work for me Tom, but I'm ready for the new season and so far my Mariners are undefeated....:up:
Hi Mike,

The link still works for me - try it again, and if you use NoScript with Firefox, you may need to do some Allowing.

Update: David Ortiz reported to spring training camp yesterday one day earlier than required (at the new Fenway Park-like brand new Jet Blue Stadium replete with a replica Green Monster Wall in left-field and the Johnny Pesky foul ball pole in right field) essentially the same dimensions as Fenway Park which btw is 100 years old this year!

-- Tom

#9 ·
what I find interesting in this entire affair (besides the fact that MLB went absolutely postal) was that everyone has forgotten that he requested a second test immediately upon hearing of his failure, and passed that one easily. Couple that with just how high his testosterone levels were (4-5 times normal), that points me in the 'something got screwed up' direction pretty quick.

Did you see all of Aaron Rodgers tweets on this? hoo, boy, did he go off......

#10 ·
Doesn't work for me either using IE.. Goes to an Associated Press site
Hi wowzer,

The link still works for me using Firefox, and yes - it actually is an AP web site, but the full article appears just the same.

-- Tom

#14 ·
MLB, union agree to expand playoffs

NEW YORK -- Major League Baseball expanded its playoff format to 10 teams Friday, adding a second wild card in each league.

The decision establishes a new one-game, wild-card round in each league between the teams with the best records who are not division winners, meaning a third-place team could win the World Series.

This is the only change in baseball's playoff structure since the 1995 season, when wild-card teams were first added.

"This change increases the rewards of a division championship and allows two additional markets to experience playoff baseball each year," commissioner Bud Selig said in a statement.

Had there been additional wild-card teams last season, the Braves would have made the playoffs in the NL, while the Boston Red Sox would have qualified in the AL. Instead, each missed the postseason by a game, both going down with historic September swoons.

#15 ·
not too sure I agree with that......you could have a case where a team is 15 games up on the other, and loses the one game playoff........don't think I like it.......

#17 ·
My point exactly......doesn't make sense. Wonder how long this is going to last.

Probably until the powers that be realize that they can make still more money out of this and add ANOTHER round........:rolleyes:

#18 ·
Modern American Baseball: :mad:

Stanley Gold and Disney family reinstated to Dodgers bidding

Stanley Gold and the family of the late Roy Disney were reinstated to the Dodgers bidding Monday, leaving five parties in contention to buy the team.

The decision was disclosed by two people familiar with the sale process but not authorized to comment.

The Gold/Disney bid had been rejected last week by a committee of Major League Baseball owners, amid concerns over the structure of an offer that included private equity financing to back the launch of a regional sports network.

MLB rejected four bidders presented by Frank McCourt, the Dodgers' outgoing owner. The court-appointed mediator, retired judge Joseph Farnan, upheld the MLB dismissal of Beverly Hills developer Alan Casden and overturned the rejection of Gold.

The two other bidders turned down by MLB - Jared Kushner, publisher and owner of the New York Observer and son-in-law of Donald Trump; and a group led by former YES Network chief Leo Hindery and Tom Barrack, chairman of Santa Monica-based Colony Capital - decided not to appeal to the mediator.

#19 ·
anyone else notice that Cabrera caught a ball with his face yesterday, and had to get stitched up? :D

Toldja he couldn't hack it at 3b any more........

#22 ·
Ozzie Guillen makes the one mistake he couldn't afford

The Marlins' worst case public relations scenario. As a new Miami baseball manager, he could overtax his bullpen. He could mangle his pinch-hitting decisions. He could bat the pitcher fourth and the first baseman ninth.

But what he absolutely, positively could not do in south Florida was utter public words of admiration for Fidel Castro, as Time magazine quoted him. That's 5,000 times worse than wearing an Auburn cap to an Alabama wedding.

#24 ·
apparently that's the first time that's happened in 40 or 60 years or some such.....talk about a record you don't want.......

#26 ·
Jamie Moyer: Oldest MLB winner pulls off 'tremendous' feat

Jamie Moyer, who pitched his first game before Wrigley Field installed lights, won his most recent game Tuesday night at an age no one dreamed possible.

Moyer, at 49 years and 152 days, became the oldest pitcher in Major League Baseball history to win a game when he beat the San Diego Padres, 5-3, at Coors Field.
:up: