1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Major permission access screwup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nick12684, Oct 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nick12684

nick12684 Thread Starter

I was trying to network the C drives of my wireless notebook and my wired desktop, but i couldn't quite get it to allow access to all subfolders of the c drives. so i went to a form, found a related issue, and followed the steps. somehow i completely locked myself out of my c drives. now i cannot boot them up. (im assuming because i locked the entire drive out somehow. i took it even further to try to reinstall windows xp on both. but after deleting xp and trying to install a 'fresh copy'. that failed too, because...im assuming the 'lock out' would not allow for a fresh copy to be installed. first how can i grant permissions back so i can get windows back up, without loosing all my files and programs already installed, (not formatting the entire drive) specifically my music. 2nd: i managed to install the factory version of vista on my desktop. (which is how im writing in these fourms) all of my files are still on the hard drive. but 'not here' (i can find them in a search but not available to be fully accessed i guess) im assuming because im running windows in a separate partitioned space? so how to i change it so i can keep vista, or reinstall windows (i dont really care which) and have full access to all my original files as if they are still there, like before? also i cant even boot in safemode. hope there is some help out there.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/865907

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice