1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MAJOR PROBLEM!! Please Help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Skin1301, Apr 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Skin1301

Skin1301 Thread Starter

Right Guys and Gals,
    Just built my new computer yesterday, it was running great until i left my mate on it. He decided he was going to have a look at the bios while i was out.
    He has changed the system performance options in the advanced chipset area of the bios, there are three options: Auto, High Performance, Manual. He has changed it to high performance and when the computer auto-restarted it just makes long beeps with long breaks and nothing comes on the moniter, cant evan get back into the bios to change it?!!!

Computer Spec:
    MSI K7N2 Delta Mainboard
    Athlon XP 2600+ Processor
    3D Prophet 7500 Dual Display 128Mb AGP Graphics
    1Gb Ram
    2x 80Gb Hard Drives

Any ideas of how to solve or what the problem might be are greatly appreciated.

Skin1301

2. gaftop1

gaftop1

clear your cmos, should go back to default settings and let you back in.

3. Skin1301

Skin1301 Thread Starter

By the way, I have been told by a friend that the Beeps on restart sound like a memory issue???
    Dunno if that is any help.

4. Skin1301

Skin1301 Thread Starter

How do I clear my cmos?

5. maxgrant

maxgrant

I bet if you pulled the cmos battery out (or the dipswitch that disconnects the bios' memory) you could get the bios to reset to its default values. The cmos battery usually looks just like a watch battery and is easily removed in most cases. The dipswitch that disconnects it is typically nearby, or at least noted in the documentation. You obviously have access to a PC, so I bet you could look it up online if you don't have a printed manual for your motherboard.

6. Skin1301

Skin1301 Thread Starter

I will try the battery, cheers.

7. Skin1301

Skin1301 Thread Starter

BRILLIANT!!! Thanks Alot! Pulled the battery out and now it has rebooted fine!
    Last time I will let my mate near it.
    Thanks again.

8. gaftop1

gaftop1

next time. there should be a jumper right next to the battery with 3 pins put the jumper on the other 2 pins for a few seconds then put it back the way it was. that clears your cmos

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218750

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice