Major Problem Reading USB Flash Drive!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kilmargames

Okay. I have a flash drive with very presious files on it including source code to various games I have programmed. This a major problem because when I put it in any of my three computers, I have a Laptop (Toshiba Satellite, XP), a Deskop (HP Pavillion, XP), and another desktop (Compaq Presario, ME) when I put in the flahs drive it asksme to format it. what do i do!!?? Need help fast! I am freakingthe hell out!

kilmargames

Ack. I don't know how to access my flashdrive in DSL... Sigh... Anyway I'll get to it. And why can't I write stuff to my flash on Ubuntu?

Hai,

Unfortunately you do not have to many choices here.

In linux you will need to mount your device to a folder on / if it is formatted nntfs you will need some software to read this fs. However if windows is having issues you probably won't be able to mount the device. Not really sure how to get it working without compromising the data :(

If you happen to get it working again that is awesome but in the event you don't you have some options left.

The safest action to take is to contract a data recovery service you will pay 500-1000 to recover your files from the flash. They will remove the NAND chip and read the raw data to another device, this is of course presuming that info is still there. These guys offer it as a service not sure how good they are just ran a quick google for it: http://www.abcdatarecovery.co.uk/USB-Flash-Memory-Recovery/ there is also a site called eprovided.com but their site looks a little broken down :(.

Second best thing to do is get it working via access the controller and formatting/resetting the device. Then you can try a data recover tool to try and egt the info back.

Last and probably not recommended is to take the flash unit and move it to another board, not really sure if this will work or not never tried it. But you will probably guarantee you loose your stuff this way although it could be fun to try :)

Bellow if an article with steps to recover the FLASH DRIVE, not the data!!!!! It will most liekly be able to restore your device to original condition but you will format the flash meaning you will most likely loose all your info.

Recovering Broken, Unformattable, and Ghost USB Flash Drives

Remember flash drives don't store data they transfer it. Just as RAID is not redundancy.

Good Luck

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online