1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Major Problems, May Be Hardware or Windows Related

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Artemyst, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Artemyst

Artemyst Thread Starter

Hi there everyone!

I am having some major problems with my PC this past week or so.

To start off, I started noticing that everything was SLOW and sticky, everything from just mousing around windows to watching videos online. Even typing at about 50WPM the text lags and sticks every few letters as if it has to catch up with you.

So, I decided the try the most obvious route and reboot.

Well, that turned out not so well. When I went through the start menu and selected "turn off computer" and then "restart" everything appeared to shut down just fine, right to black screen, but then my internal fan seemed to pump into overdrive and then it just stayed like that, not rebooting just sort of hanging there until I eventually pressed and held the power button on front of the computer.

Its becoming hell to run ANYTHING.

I also have not been able to reboot into safe mode for some time, as it hangs and hangs for over half an hour at agp.sys or somethng of that nature.

I am working with Windows XP SP2, and have an IBM Netvista desktop with 2.00ghz processer and 512 RAM.

Something else I have noticed is that something is constantly chewing up the processer in task manager.

I am hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this before something major happens and I lose her completely. Either that or I throw it out the damn window in frustration.

Help!

2. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

Ok, lets ignore the fan for a second. When you rebooted the PC did it give you a POST Beep? If so thats a good sign, if not report back how many beeps you got.

If the POST is ok, then determine WHICH fan is accelerating . Is it a bad fan?

Not being able to boot into safe mode is a primary indication of a bad driver. But you can boot normally. That is just odd. NetVista's are pretty old in computer age, so perhaps your CPU is just dying.

I would try to rule out any hardware faults before going into looking at the software, but at this point there isn't much to go on. You'll need to do more troubleshooting to isolate this problem.

Are there any messages in the event viewer to indicate problems?

3. Artemyst

Artemyst Thread Starter

Hi thanks for your speedy reply.

It DOESN'T in fact give me any beeps, and I've noticed that it seemingly skips through the first initial testing it used to do and by the time the monitor is on, it's at the windows boot screen.

I did manage to get it to reboot on its own, but it took almost two min of the fan accelerating to do it. So I don't know if thats something that means anything or not.

Can you yell me how to access the event veiwer? I'm not entirely familiar with this option.

4. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

Event viewer is seen easily from right clicking on 'My Computer' selecting 'manage' then when computer management starts select event viewer. The two folders to view would be 'application' and 'system'. Any warnings or errors seemingly related would be worth reviewing.

No beeps could be because either you have no speaker connected to your motherboard and/or your BIOS doesn't recognize your sound card at boot.

Can you get into the BIOS at boot time?

5. Flags

Flags

How long has it been since you took the side off the machine and blew the dust bunnies out of it? Lack of ventilation may be the cause of your speedy fan.
    Do you run Anti-virus and Antispyware on your system regularly?
    What AV program do you use? Norton and McAfee are notorious for cutting into performance.

6. Artemyst

Artemyst Thread Starter

Jeruvy,

*slaps head* yes i completely forgot that there is no internal speaker attached, it had to be taken out some time ago because it died.

Found my way into the event veiwer, and upon looking at the event errors, I found several.
    They are: (and this is from today)

The Parallel port driver service failed to start due to the following error:
    The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

The UPS service is not configured correctly.

The Uninterruptible Power Supply service terminated with the following error:
    The UPS service is not configured correctly.

And no, I don't even see the option anymore for getting into the bios, it seems to skip that portion of the boot completely.

7. Artemyst

Artemyst Thread Starter

Flags,

Yes, I suppose it has been a while since I have taken a can of air to the inside or checked for dust. Will check for that as soon as the online virus scan (bitdefender) is done running.

I regularly run Avira anti virus and scan weekly with Spybot and Adaware - I noticed somethng when I tried to run a scan with spybot however. It terminated unsuccessfuly on its own, and the problems that were there didn't seem to fix when i selected fix the selected programs. It acted like it did, even going so far as to show me the bar that goes across, but then they were still there.

8. Flags

Flags

Artemyst: Then youmay have some major malware problems.
    I suggest you post a HiJack This list in the Malware and HiJack this list forum to get some help with your problem.

9. Artemyst

Artemyst Thread Starter

Flags,
    Doing that as we speak! Thanks.

10. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

No worries, its quite common these days, but it's an important diagnostic tool. If you can reconnect one i'd recommend it, they are really cheap at computer stores.

Does the computer have a parallel port? Again less common these days, and XP insists on installing drivers for one. If there is no parallel port you can ignore this error.

Another unimportant error. If you have a UPS, use it's software and not the UPS service in Windows. You could disable this service if your not using it to eliminate this message.

Usually at boot you get the POST screen or a OEM flash screen. Hitting TAB usually switches back and forth. Regardless hitting either DEL or F1 or F2 depending on your BIOS to get to BIOS, but you've gotta hit that key quickly before you get the white scrolling bar at the bottom, this indicates that windows is now loading, and no longer able to go back to BIOS. I usually recommend rather than waiting to finish the boot and then rebooting to try again, if you don't get to BIOS right away, hit F8 repeatedly until the safe mode windows appears. Then reboot.

I would certainly at this point do a cleaning of the PC inside. My comments for this are thus:

Cleaning the computer
    ---------------------
    Beware of 'blowing' in your computer. Sucking is safer. Unplug the PC from the WALL, disconnect the Network connection, make sure no little lights still blinking inside the case, and vacuum the dust and dirt.

You will probably need some compressed air to clean the nooks and crannies. Do not blow the fans with compressed air. You can damage them. Best to hold the fan with your finger and blow the dust out so the fan doesn't spin. USE SHORT bursts no longer than a second. Hold the air can upright and do not allow any material (besides air) to come out of the nozzle. This material is very very cold and can damage skin and other things if exposed.

I also would ensure before you power the computer back on, double check all connections. Make sure all the dust is cleaned out. Spin each fan by hand to ensure there is no blockage inside the fan.

Afterwards, double check all the cables and connections, make sure they are all tight and still connected properly. Plug in the power cable and turn on the power supply if applicable. Then power up the PC, make sure all the LED's come on, your POST is good, and starts loading the OS. During this examine all the fans. Are they all working? Are they all nice and quiet (as normal, no weird whining noises or such) and none are sticking. Then close it up, and plug in the network.

11. Artemyst

Artemyst Thread Starter

Jeruvy,

Thanks again for all of your great advice.

I'm currently running an online virus scan just to be sure, so I am limited as to what I can do RIGHT NOW but will definetly get to all your suggestions as soon as it is done.

Just for clarification and further knowledge:

You say:

Usually at boot you get the POST screen or a OEM flash screen.

You are right, and I USED to get this, but i do not even get a screen anymore. By the time the monitor is on it is already at the Windows XP screen and the blue bar is loading.

Hitting TAB usually switches back and forth. Regardless hitting either DEL or F1 or F2 depending on your BIOS to get to BIOS, but you've gotta hit that key quickly before you get the white scrolling bar at the bottom, this indicates that windows is now loading, and no longer able to go back to BIOS.

Can't say I ever remember seeing a white bar - should i try just tapping delete or F1 or F2 as soon as the computer comes back on? Again i literally do not see any screens but the windows screen.

I usually recommend rather than waiting to finish the boot and then rebooting to try again, if you don't get to BIOS right away, hit F8 repeatedly until the safe mode windows appears. Then reboot.

Just to be clear - should I be rebooting into safe mode, or do you mean to just simply reboot once i get to the options screen?

Thanks for your patience with this one. This is an area that I have to admit I don't know much about.

12. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

Glad my info is helpful to you, thats why I'm here :)

Ah, I have a couple monitors that do this too. You still have them but the monitor isn't getting powered up quick enough to see it. Yes, it is very quick.

This is probably due to the OEM screen. No worry if you don't see it.

Well if you MISS hitting DEL or F1 or F2 to get to BIOS, I'll usually hit F8 to get the safe mode menu. This halts the boot so you can cleanly reboot. Otherwise you can wait for the PC to finish a normal boot. Just a shortcut to save a minute or two if you're trying to get into the BIOS and you keep missing it.

So in your case as soon as you power up hit tab until you see the POST screen. This will show your memory tests, hard disks and mouse and keyboard. Then hit the appropriate key to go to BIOS.

Hope thats clearer.

13. Artemyst

Artemyst Thread Starter

So, things are getting bizzarre around these parts.

Here is what just happened - I reset the computer, and the fan is coming on louder now, which has seemingly fixed all of the problems. Does this mean my fan is dying and possibly making the computer overheat, thus slowing it down?

And is there a way to ensure that the fan stays on in its high powered mode?

Does this make any sense at all? It was pretty spontaneous but I am not having any problems right now.

Edit:

I wanted to add that I managed to get into the bios with F1, and I noticed while in there that the POSTest selection was set to quick and not enhanced, and the OEM screen logo was set to off. Changing these settings got my post screen and initial boot up screens back!

14. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

Excellent at getting into BIOS and turning the OEM screen off, this way you can see whats happening. Once things are back to normal you can turn it back on if you like.

However we still don't know what fan is the problem. But fans should not make LOUD noises, this is a sign of a worn out or very dirty fan. It should be replaced. This is a very easy task to do.

Without KNOWING WHAT FAN your talking about I cannot suggest or advise on what speed is appropriate for a fan.

Sophisticated/New power supplies and motherboards have the ability to control fan speed directly. You can also by fan control hardware to add to your PC to perform this also.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650949

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice