1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Major Problems swapping laptop CD-ROM for CD-RW/DVD Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Limey222, Sep 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Limey222

Limey222 Thread Starter

HI, I'm a newbie here. My P4-2.2 Micron Transport X1000 Laptop came with a QSI CD-Rom drive. I've just purchased a QSI SBW-242B CD-RW/DVD combo drive and attempted to install it last night multiple times. Each time I tried, the laptop failed to boot to the OS (Win XP Home) and stayed on the MPC splash screen . When I attempted to get into the bio's the first couple of times by hitting F3 I got a message that there was not Operating System. Finally I remember that on Micron Transport laptops you have to hit F2 to get to the Bios. When I did that there is no primary drive (C-drive) or CD-RW/DVD listed!
    If I re-install the original CD-Rom drive weverything is back to normal.
    Am I doing something wrong here or is the new unit just not compatible with my laptop?
    Please help, time is of the essence here as I only have a few days to return the unit and get a refund.

2. Rockn

Rockn

Would have been a good idea to contact the manufacturer before even buying the DVD drive to check for compatibility as well as if it is an upgrade path that is even possible. More than likely it will not work in that laptop. Plug the old CD-ROM and and I am sure everything will work.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If there is a jumper on the drive, it may need to be set to slave. I know laptop hard drives have jumpers, maybe some laptop Optical Drives do as well.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

They indeed do have jumpers. What you need to do is put the original cd back in and go into the bios and see whther the CD is slaved to the hard disk or is set up on its own cable. I believe from what you are saying that it is slaved. If you can't tell from the bios, run Everest Home ( http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=3 )
    You will then need to jumper the new drive the same way.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/279281

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice