1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Major Problems With Windows 7 - Told Fix is Get Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by kbro2, Sep 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kbro2

kbro2 Thread Starter

i'm having escalating problems with my dell desktop running windows 7--i have to use power button to turn off, screen tells me tells me waiting for explorer.exe to stop--when i haven't been using explorer to browse. while i'm able to get to my email, often can't get other sites, facebook won't load, says timed out, and other links time out quickly.
    i run avast antivirus and cleanup, cc cleaner, and malwarebytes, nothing shows up.
    one tech guy told me it's because i'm still using windows 7, no more updates available, and in essence, i need to get a new computer with windows 10.
    i can't imagine there's no way to keep windows 7, which i much prefer, and fix current issues. i'd appreciate any feedback on this.

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

This is absolute nonsense. Win 7 will have extended support by Microsoft until January, 2020. Do you have the product key to hand for your current Win 7 install? If it's getting to the point where it's too unstable to use, perhaps you should back up your personal data, ensure you have the installers for all your apps, and then do a re-installation.

kbro2 likes this.
  3. kbro2

kbro2 Thread Starter

THANKS. APPRECIATE YOUR RESPONSE. CAN YOU SUGGEST ANYTHING SHORT OF RE-INSTALLING W7 ? AND WHERE WOULD I FIND THE PRODUCT KEY ?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    On a sticker on the side (or possibly back or bottom) of the desktop's case.

5. kbro2

kbro2 Thread Starter

thanks--and my other question-- possible steps short of re-installing 7 ?

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Clearly you don't know what explorer.exe is. It is the program that shows all your icons on the desktop and your file management system. If it isn't running, you would have a black screen. It is Windows Explorer and should be running.

On the other hand, iexplore.exe is Internet Explorer and used for browsing.

How are Windows updates set up on your Windows 7 computer?
    I ask because non-security updates cam out yesterday and that would slow up a computer if you have it set to accept everything. (I don't have mine set up that way.)

I have four Windows 7 computers in our home and all are running fine. You don't need to upgrade to Windows 10 - yet - to get a functioning computer. Security patches will be offered through January 2020.

7. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

For starters, you could try opening a command prompt with admin privileges and running sfc/ scannow. Let it check out your system and see what it reports back.

8. kbro2

kbro2 Thread Starter

thanks, yes, i didn't know exactly what explorer.exe does, but it's new that it appears as a program preventing me from shutting down. thanks for the info. i only know what i need to know as each problem arises. i've avoided updates, seeing how they've created problems before.
    when i first log on, computer works ok, gradually loses connectivity to links, right now only thing running is my email--can't even get to updates !can't even access updates--4 w7's running fine ? where do you live ? come on over and fix mind--i'd pay you :)

9. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Having some pc specifications would be helpful.
    Check and post
    TSG System Information Utility - found here.
    http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

Download Security Check by screen317 from.
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/securitycheck/
    Save it to your Desktop.
    Double click the install icon.
    Right click the install icon and select "Run as Administrator"
    A command Prompt window will open.
    Let it scan the Pc - press any key when asked.
    It should now open in Notepad.
    Copy and Paste the result of the scan in the reply box below.

The saved log will be called checkup.txt.

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    If you have your Dell recovery DVDs .. You shouldn't need a key.
    But a Key should be on the case somewhere.
    I plan on using W7 for several more years.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1215261

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice