1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Major Probs with XP!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by zach175, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zach175

zach175 Thread Starter

Needing some help guys. It's a long story, and so I'm going to try and be as descriptive as possible. Any solutions are very helpful.

Yesterday I was doing a major upgrade to my computer, brand new case and also a new CPU. The case is a Thermaltake case, with 5 fans, and 2 cathode lights. The reason I say this is because maybe power can be an issue. Not really sure. I've got the case with that setup, 2 hard drives, a cd burner, and a dvd player, using a 400 watt power supply. Is that enough?

I installed everything except for the CPU and left my old 2 ghz celeron in. It worked perfectly with all things running. When I installed my new 3.2 ghz p4, and put all the equipment back together (may be where a problem occurred as well) it hung on the Windows loading screen with the blue bar. So, I booted in safe mode and it stopped at the agp440.sys loading. I read online that this was a video driver and tried fixing it, but no luck in logging in to recover. So, I formatted. Now, on the format is where problem 2 occurred.

The format went fine, but the reinstallation screwed up. It would get past where you load the key, and start copying files, then it would throw a memory dump error. 2 times it did this. Finally, it installed fine and correctly. But, it wasn't fast and it was sticking too much. Figured where it was a bad install. When installing other programs, it hung a few times and had to be restarted. It worked probably 75% of the time on installing, but I figured that'd just get worse because something isn't right in it.

The weird thing is Linux loaded fine on my second hard drive. No troubles. But when trying to install XP on second hard drive, same memory dump problem occurred.

Anyone have any clue what could be the prob? I have an MSI board, 3.2 ghz celeron, 1 gig ram, ATI 128 mb video card, 200 gig hard drive, 2nd 40 gig hard drive. Bout all the specs I have at hand. Really frustrating after sinking a couple hundred bucks in the case mod and CPU upgrade. Any help is appreciated very much! Thanks!

2. dai

dai

3. zach175

zach175 Thread Starter

Thanks for the website. Unfortunately, it's showing a max of 300 or so watts for my setup, and I've got a 400 watt. Was kind of hoping it was just the power. Thing is, I put my 2 ghz celeron back in with the current windows installation, and the thing works perfectly. Think the processor could've gotten damaged during shipping?

4. dai

dai

they usually pack them pretty good get it replaced under warranty

5. zach175

zach175 Thread Starter

Intel's warranty? Think that's what it is? Would that cause these errors? Thanks again for the help

6. dai

dai

if the cpu does not work then the computer does not post

7. zach175

zach175 Thread Starter

is there any way the cpu can post but glitch sometimes?

8. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

You may want to check your BIOS settings. Did it adjust properly for the new chip? Might want to "load optimized defaults".
    You may need to upgrade bios for support for your new chip...

9. dai

dai

if it posts then the problem is elsewhere

10. zach175

zach175 Thread Starter

My BIOS was way behind, and it appears that was what was causing the problem, but now I'm at an even worse condition. I used the MSI utility to automatically select and flash the BIOS. Thing is, it must've failed, because now my computer won't boot or even load anything. Just a blank screen, then after 5/10 minutes, powers off. Don't see how MSI could mess up with that utility. Think it's something other than BIOS?

11. SacsTC

SacsTC

what MSI board?

12. SacsTC

SacsTC

Celeron runs on a 400 Front side buss. The 3.2 runs on an 800 and the power requirements are also different. Could be that the mobo won't support the 3.2

13. zach175

zach175 Thread Starter

It's an 865PE-Neo2

14. SacsTC

SacsTC

15. dai

dai

reset the cmos

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272194

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice