1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

major probs

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by steve davis26, Jan 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. steve davis26

steve davis26 Thread Starter

hi i'll have to be quick i might hang again i am getting iexplorer erorrs i.e invalid page faults also exeption oe has occured at 0028:c0050cce in vxd vpicd(01) + 000009aa. Also iexplore executed an invalid instruction in module wininet.dll . Also kernell errors please help

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The first problem is symptomatic of an IRQ conflict. Are there any exclamation points showing in the Device Manager?

I've seen that one remedied on occasion by having the BIOS assign IRQs rather than Windows. The setting would be for PnP=OS to be set to NO. But you may not have to do this. You should post more info on your system setup. If you have Win98 or WinME you can get a list of your IRQs by running msinfo32

With the IRQs displayed click edit>select all>edit>copy and paste the list in your next reply.

You can also view them in the Device Manager by double clicking on the "computer" icon

If you've recently installed any hardware, you might want to try physically removing it if practical and see if the system stabilizes.

3. steve davis26

hi rollin rog,
    I checked my device manager that all seems ok also the pnp=os set to no that was already set. I have upgraded recently I had a new mother board a viatech K7VZA also 1.2ghz amd duron processor, 512 mb ram and a nvidia geforce2 graphics card. The irq info is attached many thanks. steve0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 Communications Port (COM2)
    4 Communications Port (COM1)
    5 (free)
    6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7 ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    9 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    9 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    10 LT Win Modem
    10 VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (WDM)
    10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    11 NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 100/200
    11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    11 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
    12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    14 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
    15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    15 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller

4. skyman

skyman

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It looks like the problem is here, with the modem and the audio controller sharing the same IRQ:

10 LT Win Modem
    10 VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (WDM)

Try setting PnP=OS to YES

Or moving the Modem card to another slot if you can.

With IRQ 5 open, it should be possible to get things sorted out.

Have the motherboard drivers been installed yet?

Driver page if needed...

http://www.ecs.com.tw/download/driver/k7v.htm

6. steve davis26

I had installed the latest 4 in 1 drivers for my motherboard. also tried changing the irqs but wouldn't let me it said there are no conflicts , changed pnp to yes. Am now getting unreliable xms memory, also himem.sys is missing also hh caused an invalid page fault in kernell32.dll. whilst typing this out my computer just restarted. any suggestions most welcome thanks steve.

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The "unreliable xms memory" message is almost always an indication of faulty ram. The best test is to swap out sticks to isolate a bad one. Alternately you can try a software tester, it may confirm the diagnosis, but I wouldn't absolutely rule out bad ram if it passes.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q109845

http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp

You can install Docmemory to a clean floppy and boot it like a startup disk. It should be allowed to do a couple of full burnin loops before pressing esc.

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

9. steve davis26

I have now installed windows me and all the errors seem to have cleared up but whilst playing a game it will just go straight back to desktop is this a sign of bad ram?

10. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Since you reinstalled (or installed) another operating system...your IRQs may have switched around and could be the cause of this new problem.

Do you want to post your IRQs again?

11. steve davis26

IRQ 0 System timer OK
    IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard OK
    IRQ 2 Programmable interrupt controller OK
    IRQ 3 Communications Port (COM2) OK
    IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
    IRQ 6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller OK
    IRQ 7 ECP Printer Port (LPT1) OK
    IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
    IRQ 9 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller OK
    IRQ 9 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller OK
    IRQ 9 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering OK
    IRQ 10 VIA PCI Audio Controller (WDM) OK
    IRQ 10 WDM Communication Device OK
    IRQ 10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering OK
    IRQ 11 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus OK
    IRQ 11 NVIDIA GeForce2 MX-100/200 OK
    IRQ 11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering OK
    IRQ 12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port OK
    IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
    IRQ 14 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller OK
    IRQ 14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo) OK
    IRQ 15 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller OK
    IRQ 15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo) OK
    this is the new irqs i'm also getting rundll.32 caused an error in kernell32.dll and iexplorer caused error in gdi.exe

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Yes, I do think those errors are a further indication that you have a bad stick in there. Have you tried the DocMemory program, or swapped out sticks?

Those IRQs look ok to me; no obvious conflicts. Wonder why 5 is unused though. Usually it gets reserved in the BiOS for a sound card.

13. steve davis26

hi rollin rog is irq 5 reserved because i took the sound card out. I am just using the default sound on the motherboard. I took the card out some time ago thinking it was causing the problem it is a creative soundblaster 4.1 digital. I think I shall be purchasing some new ram soon i think. Although i dont have a sound card connected windows does come up with found new hardware pci multimedia audio device????? but there is no card in the pci slot???? i use the motherboard driver cd and that picked it up as via pci audio controller could this be the problem do i need to put the sound card back in . I have formatted since removing and the problem is still there so i didn't think it made any difference.

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Steve I don't think I know the answer to the last question. Might be a good one for the hardware forum if you get no further input here. Does Windows install drivers or ask you for them when it finds the "new hardware"? There are some audio drivers for the chipset on that download page, maybe it's looking for those?

I would wait until the ram problem is sorted out before installing anything new, less chance of a corrupt install.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65277

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice