1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Major Re-Install Problems!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by THtweety, Nov 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. THtweety

THtweety Thread Starter

Hi all! Any help with this problem by anyone is very much appreciated. The problem is with my mothers computer which is an Intel Celeron 508 mhz, 32 mb, running Windows 98 second edition. It all started with her getting error messages and she was unable to access any thing through the Control Panel or My Computer. When you would click into Control Panel you'd get the error message " An active x control on this page is not safe. Your current security settings prohibit running unsafe controls on this page. As a result, this page may not display as intended." In the Control Panel window and in the my computer window when you would click on an icon(ex: internet properties, etc. ) you would get nothing at all. Also, the icons were not being displayed as they should have been, they were displayed in the wrong frame of the window and at the top it said: %THISDIRNAME% . I tried to run her virus software and got this error message: "C: Could not read boot sectors." I did run scanreg/fix from DOS thinking that that might help somehow, but I had no luck and to be quite honest was completely at a loss. I managed to go in through start/find/files or folders/then typing *.cpl and access the control panels and a bunch of files were missing in internet options. There was nothing listed under the security tab anymore, nothing under the connections tab anymore, and only Java VM was listed under advanced tab. Everything else under the advanced tab was no longer there. Also, under Network there was no longer any network components installed there at all. I ran system file checker and it reported two possible corrupt system files which I repaired. Also, tried to do the thorough scan disk and it would just stop responding over and over again.

So I decided to reformat.

Like a dummy though, instead of reinstalling the OS with the recovery disk that came with the computer, I reinstalled Windows from the windows CD which also came with the computer.
    Now, I am having driver problems left and right. Graphic card only has 2 colors and there is no sound at all. (all onboard ASUS ME-99 VM socket 370) There are several "unknown devices" in Device Manager with yellow exclamation marks by them that need the drivers installed, but I have no clue what these "unknown devices" are. And all of the drivers that are installed all seem to be generic. I have tried to extract them from the recovery disk to no avail. I keep getting a prompt about them not being compatible. ?? Also, when I boot the computer, I am getting this AwardsBIOS Setup Utility message:

(advanced tab) During your last boot-up your system hung for improper FSB/SDRAM/PCI Frequency Ratio or/and CPU External Frequency. Your system is now working in safe mode. To optomize the system performance and reliability, make sure that the frequency combination conforms to the specifications of your CPU, SDRAM and other connected devices. ????????? I hit the button to supposedly set it back to the system defaults, exited, and booted back up into safe mode. I ran scan disk and it completed without finding any errors.

But this message keeps occuring. I do not know what else to do to help her get her computer running correctly again.

I am at a TOTAL loss. If anyone can PLEASE help! I have been trying to get this thing fixed for her for over three weeks now and I am close to just giving up on it and telling her she might as well save up for a new pc. Thanks so much in advance for any help you may can offer.

tweety

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    I'm sure we could help you struggle through this and get all of the driver problems corrected but is there any reason why you haven't just gone back and reinstalled again using the Recovery CD? If not that's what I would suggest you do at this point.

Insert the Recovery CD then restart Windows. It should boot to the CD. Follow the prompts and reinstall from that Recovery CD.

3. THtweety

THtweety Thread Starter

Thanks so much for replying to my post. Actually that is exactly what I wished I could do, but CD-Rom won't launch the disk. As a matter of fact, it's not launching any disks since the format and reinstall and I can not figure out how to get it to auto-launch them again. Any ideas? Thanks again for your help.

tweety

4. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Autolaunch for the CDRom drive wouldn't be the problem. Have you checked the BIOS to be sure the CDRom drive is before the C: drive in the Boot Sequence?

While in Windows, can you insert the CD and use Windows Explorer to explore it?

5. THtweety

THtweety Thread Starter

Yes, it's there in BIOS, but doesn't even show up in Windows Explorer or device manager either. :(

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58138

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice