1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MAJOR Right Click Lag... HELP!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TipAndMe2, Sep 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TipAndMe2

TipAndMe2 Thread Starter

When I right click on files (but not shortcuts), it takes 7-10 seconds for the right click menu to open. All of the time, Task Manager displays 0 or normal CPU usage until the right click menu opens, then it's at 100% until I close it. Needless to say, this is pissing me off. It has been going on for about a month now, but it seems to come and go. Restarting doesn't help, I don't have any viruses, and I see no reason why I should be short on memory. Often times, my comp seems very slow compared to when I first got it. This is a very frustrating issue for me, so thank's in advance for any help.

COMP INFO:

Sony Vaio Model PCV-RX850; 2.40B GHz Intel Pentium 4; Maxtor (4D080H4) 7200RPM 80 GB Ultra ATA/100; 512 MB PC2100 DDR-SDRAM; DVD-ROM; CD-RW

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

3. TipAndMe2

TipAndMe2 Thread Starter

Cybertech,

Thank's for the post, but the problem still remains. I think that part of the problem was because of the XP update 811493. Microsoft addressed the problem after they recieved many complaints, and modified the update to fix the bug. According to other users on various forums, there are more than one of the updates that affect performance, but number 811493 is the only one I could find official information posted on Microsoft's website about performance issues. To find out if you're affected by this update, check the versions of the Ntkrnlpa.exe and Ntoskrnl.exe files (navigate to C:\WINDOWS\SERVICEPACKFILES\I386). If the version is 5.1.2600.1106, you're okay. If it has been changed to 5.1.2600.1133 or 5.1.2600.1150 or higher, the following site kind of explains why there's a problem, and most importantly, how to fix it: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;819634

I fixed this problem, but not much came of it. I'm still having hardcore performance issues. HELP ME!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166145

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice