1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Major slow down after reformat!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ktjohns, Mar 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ktjohns

ktjohns Thread Starter

My hard drive was getting quite full and I had two separate operating systems on two separate partitions. I decided to back up what I needed and reformat my hard drive into one partition with just windows 8. I used windows 8 tools "fully clean the drive" http://. I also used windows 8 to combine partitions after the reformat. I updated all the drivers using windows updater, paragon, NVIDIA, and IObit.

I installed Diablo 3, Heroes of the Storm, and Dungeon Defenders 2 which are all not very demanding in my opinion. All are being incredibly sluggish at high graphic settings and outright unplayable on ultra settings (which was my previous setting). I have done everything that I know how to do to fix this and I am still stuck.

I am thinking of doing another reformat from the cd itself but I am reaching out and hoping to explore other options before that option.

Things done so far-
    -Updated all drivers
    -Cleared CMOS battery
    -Dusted inside
    -No beeps from the motherboard

Hardware Specs-
    Processor- Intel Core i5-3470 (Ivy Bridge)
    Motherboard- ASRock Z75 Pro3: LGA 1155, Intel Z75 Express
    Ram- Team Vulcan 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3
    Video- GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-bit
    Hard Drive- Western Digital Blue 1TB
    Power Supply- EVGA 500 MB

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Most likely a clean install will fix the problem however I would test the hard drive with the WD diagnostic prior to doing another install.

Next I see a few things that might cause you problems;

1 Your choice of hd. The blue series drives are NOT performance hard disks. They are made for data storage and or low end systems. If you have to have a mech hd, then the black series would be a much better choice. The blue drives only have a 2yr warranty vs the black drive with a 5yr warranty. That alone should tell you about the quality.

2 Your video card requires a 500W pw supply as min requirement. Only the very high end evga pw supplies [which are mfg by FSP] are decent. Depending on what exact pw supply you have, you may be at min spec or not even really up to min specs. EVGA builds fine video cards; not so much with pw supplies.

Again, the clean install will probably fix the problem however do be aware that you do have some parts which are low end and not performance parts.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One other item. When you clean install windows, it is done in the following order;
    1 Install the os
    2 Update to the latest service pack. No sp for win 8.1
    3 Install chipset driver
    4 Install sound, nic/lan driver
    5 Install video driver
    6 Run windows update and install all critical updates. Repeat until there are no more critical updates to install.

Failure to install in the above order often results in drivers not config correctly.

Before starting any install, go to the support page for your mb and download all of the drivers you will need. Do the same for your video card and any other hw that will need a driver. Place these on a second hd, flash drive, etc. It will make your install go much easier.

4. ktjohns

ktjohns Thread Starter

Thank you very much crjdriver, I am going to attempt a fresh install and follow the steps you listed as well as running the WD diagnostic within the week. I am very busy with work but I will be sure to get back with you to tell you the results. Thank you! :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145339

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice