1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Major Troubles Installing WinXP on RAID HDD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by NekoMaster, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NekoMaster

NekoMaster Thread Starter

Ok, Ive pretty much had it now. Im really pissed off that I cant get windows XP to install on my RAID Hard Disk.

I recently got a new pc that has windows xp but i want to wipe my disk and start freash since this pc is acctualy used (but still fairly new), its a :
    DELL Dimension e520
    Windows XP Pro Sp3
    Celeron D @ 3.06Ghz
    512MB DDR 2 RAM @ 533Mhz
    Intel G965 Video card with 256 MB VRAM
    80 GB Hitachi HDS728080PLA380
    Intel ICH8R/ICH9R SATA Raid Controller
    SATA CD-R/RW/DVD-ROM Drive

I dont have a Working Floppy Disk Drive and also I dont have any blank Floppies. So when i press F6 to load the raid drivers it says i need a floppy or i can press ENTER to countinue and so i press ENTER and then it Blue Screens of Death on me!

So can somebody give me Detailed Instructions on how to install Windows XP on my SATA Hard Disk cuz this is pissing off, alot! And I dont want Vista cuz it really sucks, Ive seen first hand how lsow it is even on a 2.0 Ghz Dual Core with 2GB ram! Plus i have many apps taht dont run on vista!

Edit : BTW, i have 2 USB Disks and I can Burn CD/DVD so if I need to slipstream something i can burn. What baffles me is how to creat a bootable so if i need to do that too then plz say so

2. shinybeast

shinybeast

Do you have 1 sata drive as per your computer specs? If so, you can't RAID.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Installing XP on a SATA drive

"Many newer BIOS allow an Alternate method for SATA . . Go into the BIOS and check the 'Sata Operation' setting, change it to 'Raid Autodetect/ATA' if it is not already. Now try to install XP (Verbiage will vary by manufacturer)" - Courtesy of simpswr.

(I love Vista.)

4. NekoMaster

Um, if I siad RAID of corse its a F***ing SATA HDD, and also I said so in the specs! It uses a SATA RAID Controller so theres no E-IDE (aka IDE) except for a Floppy (but mines busted)

5. NekoMaster

Hmm, I'll try that, I did how ever make a XP Disc with the drivers but i forgot to make it bootable so I need to load a Bootable WinXP Disc first then switch over (which windows setup will complain about there being no disc)

6. shinybeast

shinybeast

Sorry about the confusion. I was saying that RAID requires more than one hard drive. If you want to put XP on a single SATA drive you do not need to do the F6 thing. You just gotta make sure the BIOS knows it's there which is what Nekomaster's (via Elavandil) post was aiming at.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754633

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice