1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Major videocard problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mendax, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mendax

Mendax Thread Starter

Ok, my story starts with me playing Half-Life 2. I was in the part with the hovercraft when suddenly the game froze and the graphics messed up. It wasn't really artifacts, just some of the textures turned a pure gray. A few minutes later the game resumed, but due to the problem with the textures I decided to quit and restart my computer. However, when I paused the game it froze again, (or possibly just became very slow with the mouse movements). At this point I used the button on the case to manually shut down the computer.

Now, when I power my computer back on the left side of the BIOS has very weird letters (artifacts), but it still passes POST and beeps only once. The loading screen for Windows looks perfect as far as I can tell, however the white border around the loading bar has a blue stripe. Once it finishes loading, though, the entire screen is black, except for the top, which flickers purple or blue.

Right now I've replaced the seemingly broken 8800GTS with my old 6600GT and everything works fine, but I still want to resolve this soon. I had plans to rebuild a second computer using the 6600GT and a few other old parts I had.

I guess what I'd like to know is if there is anyway to fix my 8800GTS. I wouldn't have imagined it overheated because I have two 120mm fans in my case and good air flow, though I guess it's not an impossible theory.

2. BG-0

BG-0

First try removing the video drivers while using the 6600GT, boot up with the 8800 GTS in, download and install its drivers. (If it gives 640x480x8bits display without the drivers.)

3. Mendax

Mendax Thread Starter

Ok, I tried it.

During post the bios still had artifacts with the 8800GTS, but my computer did manage to load to desktop, though it was full of blue lines. I installed the drivers and restarted the computer, however, when it loaded the screen started flickering very fast. I waited a minute to turn it off, and then I noticed that the fan wasn't spinning, (it was before though). When I tried to take it out, the card was surprisingly hot.

So as far as the fan not spinning... maybe it needs to be activated by the driver, but since Windows never loaded... Is it possible that the card is just overheating? Someone told me to take off the heatsink and add some thermal paste where appropriate. How does that sound?

4. brite750

brite750

the card is faulty you will have to replace it

5. Mendax

Mendax Thread Starter

6. Mendax

Mendax Thread Starter

Bump

7. BG-0

BG-0

8. Mendax

Mendax Thread Starter

Yeah, I think that's a bit too expensive. I wanted to stay around the $100 area because I'm planning other upgrades aswell, though I wasn't expecting to have to replace my videocard.

9. BG-0

BG-0

Well.. Is the vid cards warranty over? If yes, just get the 8800GT.

10. Mendax

Mendax Thread Starter

I really can't say, though I don't have the box or receipt so there's not really any chance they'll take it.

11. Mendax

Mendax Thread Starter

12. BG-0

BG-0

Yeah. It's not worse, as fas as I know. Some say it would have a bit better OC support, in addition to better mobo support or sumthin like that. Go get it.

13. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

You dont need a new card, as you can return the card for replacement. BFG have a lifetime guarantee- basically, as long as its there, they will repair/ replace it. If you go to their site, register the card ( under registration I think), wait a day or two, and you can go back and go through the RMA section. I had one that died on me, from filling in the online form to getting a new card was 5 days. Dont need a receipt, box or anything else, just the card.
    Me, I like BFG :)

14. BG-0

BG-0

Cool. I thought you'd need a at least a receipt for that, but it's good if they take the card back all by itself.

15. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Yup- BFG have a guarantee pretty much forever. Once its registered, you can happily get it replaced whenever. They seem to have a good rep, and re my return, it wasnt repaired, but a new card- as far as I could tell, new as in never used new :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754287

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice